Can you open a new account with Very after closing one previously?

Options
About two weeks ago I closed my very account as I thought I would have no use for it. However, they now have a sweet £200 cashback offer for the new 2017 Macbook pro which I'm hoping to take advantage of. Can I open a new Very account again? Would this negatively affect my credit score?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have a look at their conditions re new customers. It should be on there.

Any new account will show in your files that lenders will look at and take a view on. Excessive credit can be viewed badly. You don't have a credit score.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    V_K wrote: »
    About two weeks ago I closed my very account as I thought I would have no use for it. However, they now have a sweet £200 cashback offer for the new 2017 Macbook pro which I'm hoping to take advantage of. Can I open a new Very account again? Would this negatively affect my credit score?

I did this a while ago and closed the account but about a year later applied for the account again. However I was credit scored again.
  • bengal-stripe
    bengal-stripe Posts: 3,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    About two weeks ago I closed my very account as I thought I would have no use for it.
    MABLE wrote: »
    I did this a while ago and closed the account but about a year later applied for the account again.

Most (maybe all) Credit Cards stipulate that there must be three or six months between a previous account closure and a new application. The OP (having closed the account only recently) is likely to fall short of this requirement and the bank might refuse to consider an application at this point in time.

In Mable's case, there was a whole year between closure and application.
  • V_K
    V_K Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Most (maybe all) Credit Cards stipulate that there must be three or six months between a previous account closure and a new application. The OP (having closed the account only recently) is likely to fall short of this requirement and the bank might refuse to consider an application at this point in time.

In Mable's case, there was a whole year between closure and application.

I see. But does catalogue credit follow the same principle?
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    I see. But does catalogue credit follow the same principle?
    i think it is something within the consumer credit act, so it will affect all
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Very is a (catalogue) shopping credit account, not a credit card.

I couldn't see anything in their sign up info or T&Cs about a time limit between closing and opening an account.

They may have an unwritten rule, however, in place to stop customers closing and opening accounts to take advantage of discounts they offer new (credit) customers.

In the OP's case the 10% new (credit) account discount they're currently offering can't be used with the £200 MacBook Pro offer.

If I were the OP I would apply and see what happens.

It will be listed as a credit search on OP's credit report. I don't know how important that is. I've opened several credit card and bank accounts within the past six months and haven't received any rejections. The number of recent credit searches is only part of the picture.
  • A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    Very's criteria is quite easy going they allow people with previous defaults accounts. I'd say apply and see, a few credit searches isn't the end of the world.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure