Part time workers getting accepted for loans?

Options
Benc98
Benc98 Posts: 15 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
I am looking and have applied for a loan, the loan will be used to pay off some very minor personal life debts (nothing bank related) and also to pay for a new computer for my course. I've specified everything to my bank, with no lies what so ever and been straight foward with them, saying that I'd have absoulutly no problem paying the loan off within an 18 month contract. The loan is only a £1000 loan so not to much. This equates to me paying £60 a month which is completely fine with with me and id have absolutely no problem paying that off.

So essentially I am a full time student let's call it (its not full time as I only do 3 days a week, but by law it's full time) for the rest of the days I work 4 days a week. I specified to my bank that I am a student, but when I called them, I told them about my job aswell and they where fine about it and understood.

From my job I can earn anywhere from 400-750 a month depending on my hours worked I am paid weekly also. However, I have no other commitments with my money, such as direct debits and such coming out of my account. But I do spend all my money every week (through choice, because I like to go out with friends as much as I can) as all of the transactions are done through cash withdrawls, or bank transfers to friends, when I've sent my bank the bank statements will this go against me? Or will they take into consideration the circumstances of which the money is spent?

My bank is first direct just incase that matters at all, they've been absoulutely amazing with me, but I don't think it's for them to decide once they ask for my bank statements whether or not I get the loan, it's down to the lenders? I might be wrong in saying that.

Thanks to anyone that can just put my mind at ease if they know how this situation would look to lenders.

Comments

• AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm interested in this too in a way, so I'll watch your thread. :)

I've always (assumed) the lenders are really more interested in what you have coming in and what you can afford to repay rather than if you work 8 hours a week or 48 hours a week. Put it another way, if you only worked 8hrs/week but were paid £75/ph... Hopefully that makes fractional sense.
  • Askalaba
    Askalaba Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I've never applied for a loan but I do plan to soon. I'm going to watch this thread and see if anything comes out of it :)
    Absolutely love a good bargain. If anybody has any money saving tips please send them my way :j
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Rather than applying for a £1k loan with FD where the APR would be 18.9%, it makes more sense to apply for an overdraft where the first £250 is interest free and the remaining £750 would be at 15.9%.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Benc98
    Options
    Thankyou for the reply!

Would the fact that I'm in my Halifax overdraft not affect me from getting an overdraft? Because with Halifax I couldn't get more overdraft because of the amount of overdraft I was in (well I think so anyway I can't see what else would effect it, maybe my income? But I definitely don't have bad a credit score, I checked and also I have no previous debt problems with banking)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you've already used your overdraft and they won't extend further ten that's not an option.

Credit scores are meaningless numbers. What will affect you though is your current level of debt compared to your income meaning you may fail affordability tests. It is that that matters rather than whether you're full time or part time.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Benc98 wrote: »
    Thankyou for the reply!

Would the fact that I'm in my Halifax overdraft not affect me from getting an overdraft? Because with Halifax I couldn't get more overdraft because of the amount of overdraft I was in (well I think so anyway I can't see what else would effect it, maybe my income? But I definitely don't have bad a credit score, I checked and also I have no previous debt problems with banking)

Your Halifax overdraft may stop you getting a loan. Depends on how big the overdraft is.
  • Benc98
    Options
    I'm about £200 into my overdraft I did specify to first direct that the loan would be used as a means to paying them off before I officially switched.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Benc98 wrote: »
    I am looking and have applied for a loan, the loan will be used to pay off some very minor personal life debts (nothing bank related) and also to pay for a new computer for my course. I've specified everything to my bank,

My bank is first direct just incase that matters at all, they've been absoulutely amazing with me, but I don't think it's for them to decide once they ask for my bank statements whether or not I get the loan, it's down to the lenders? I might be wrong in saying that.

Thanks to anyone that can just put my mind at ease if they know how this situation would look to lenders.

First Direct is the bank you have applied too for a loan then is it ?

Nearly all banks are whats called, "direct lenders" which means all loans etc are decided and funded "inhouse".

It is the underwriters at the bank who decide weather to lend to you, or not.
    First Direct are pretty good at listening to peoples circumstances to be honest, it will depend if the loan is affordable, and what your credit file sayes about you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    First Direct is the bank you have applied too for a loan then is it ?

Nearly all banks are whats called, "direct lenders" which means all loans etc are decided and funded "inhouse".

It is the underwriters at the bank who decide weather to lend to you, or not.
    First Direct are pretty good at listening to peoples circumstances to be honest, it will depend if the loan is affordable, and what your credit file sayes about you.

You may have noticed it but Ben started the thread back in June, don't think he's coming back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure