Not asked for ID after interview

Options
If you're asked to take all your ID to an interview and they don't ask for it, are you unlikely to have gotten to job? I felt the interview went well and I am qualified for the position, but I usually take not asking for ID as a sign I've not got the job.

TIA

Comments

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    No, if it's anything like our place, they'll just have forgotten to ask you for your ID to take a copy. Happens quite a lot.

Once they realise (which could take a few days, if they are interviewing over days before deciding), they'll ask you to pop back in with your ID in hand. So you might not hear for a couple of days.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 May 2018 at 7:12PM
    Options
    For me, it's 2 weeks later when you haven't heard is when you haven't got the job !!

Must be the heat - notice one of my interview invites today confirms I'd already completed the application form yet they have attached a blank one to the email so I hope I get away with turning up without it :o

They accepted my month's notice to work in current job with me specifically asking but that doesn't mean anything - they still don't have to think I'm right for them. They said at first I'm to salesy so I'll see.
  • dominqueobs
    dominqueobs Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, guys! Maybe they are more forgetful these days :) Years ago IME it meant no job but I do remember a few that haven't asked for it straightaway.

Hoping I get today's job as I have another interview tomorrow that's a presentation and the recruitment agent has stressed me out trying to prep me for it, it doesn't even pay £20k but the pressure he's put on me is like I'm going for CEO. I hate interviews.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    In most of the job interviews I've been to, they pretty much gather the documents as soon as you arrive and before they start interviewing you.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    I take my documents - ID and qualifications - to all interviews. I've NEVER been asked for ID (they usually demand it when I start work) and only once been asked for proof of qualifications, despite many many emails telling me these will be required at interview.....
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • directdebiter
    directdebiter Posts: 272 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    An employer needs to see ID to prove your identity and to check working status. They can often ask this when you start work rather than at interview stage.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    An employer needs to see ID to prove your identity and to check working status. They can often ask this when you start work rather than at interview stage.

I would have thought that under the new data protection regulations it might be hard to justify asking everyone at an interview to provide ID. It makes more sense just to ask for it after the job has been offered and before work starts to comply with Home Office regulations.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    I would have thought that under the new data protection regulations it might be hard to justify asking everyone at an interview to provide ID. It makes more sense just to ask for it after the job has been offered and before work starts to comply with Home Office regulations.

An employer just copies necessary ID and RTW papers at interview because expecting it on the first working day is too late if it is not acceptable and waiting to offer the job means a candidate needs to make a separate journey (possibly long one if relocating) in order to provide what they could have produced at the interview.

The employer's privacy notice needs to cover recruitment processes.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    I may have forgotten once or twice, or oft-times forget to copy the cover of the passport which seems stupid.

If the interview drags on a bit (Not always a bad thing) then they may just be politely kicking you out so they can prep for the next person and forgot.
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    Options
    I've had interviews at public bodies like the NHS and a County Council, as well as private companies and never have I been asked for ID or qualifications at the interview stage, despite them asking me to bring it in the email.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure