We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

New Bird Feeder

Options
Would anyone with a bird feeder be able to let me know how long it usually takes for birds to start visiting a new feeder?
I only put my first one up 2 days ago so I know I am probably being very impatient :rotfl:
FTB 2017 :D

Comments

• TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A lot depends on where it is .... smaller birds need to have cover close by (bushes/trees) to perch in whilst going to/from the feeder. Any activity by predators (esp. cats) nearby will also keep birds away.

Give it time.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Shouldn't be long at all, but with the weather warming up its not the best time of year as there are lots of insects about for birds to eat. You always get more birds visiting feeders in cold weather.
  • JulieM
    JulieM Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Newshound! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    What have you put in the feeder? Birds can be very choosy! My lot go mad for sunflower hearts and fat balls, but leave the seed mixes alone.
  • Caraway90
    Caraway90 Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :)

There are bushes and trees close by which is good. We do get occassional visits by cats but it doesn't seem to have put birds off popping in in the past, so I hope they continue to do so!

I hadn't thought about the weather warming up, even if it doesn't get much use in the warmer months I'll have it ready for the colder months.
  • wantonnoodle
    Options
    You may think that with the weather warming up, demand would drop because of more bugs etc being about to eat, but at this time of year demand from birds can go through the roof. This is because they are nesting/have young etc. Many will use the feeders for 'fast food' (ie like McDonalds of the bird world) for themselves, to free up more time to forage for food for their young.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    Options
    It can take weeks; once they know it's their (and it's regularly topped-up), it will always be occupied.

Assuming the aforementioned cover.
  • Caraway90
    Options
    My boyfriend spotted the first visitor to the feeder yesterday evening :j
    We are out all day at work Monday to Friday though so no idea if/how many day time visitors we have had!

I love the McDonald's of the bird world comment :rotfl:
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JulieM wrote: »
    What have you put in the feeder? Birds can be very choosy! My lot go mad for sunflower hearts and fat balls, but leave the seed mixes alone.

I agree sunflower hearts are the things to use.
    150 kg a year my garden birds scoff !!
  • Caraway90
    Options
    I was recommended sunflower hearts so bought a big tub of them, great to read other people suggesting them.
    I also have peanuts, and a couple of fat balls. Doesn't look like the fat balls have been touched yet though.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I agree sunflower hearts are the things to use.
    150 kg a year my garden birds scoff !!

I’ve just bought a bird feeder, first time user. I have loads of uncooked sunflower seeds in the kitchen, Can I use them or should I buy special ones for birds?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure