Do I have to use the Ombudsman?

Options
microstar
microstar Posts: 21 Forumite
First Anniversary
edited 21 April 2018 at 10:25AM in Energy
I have had problems with Npower billing over about the last three years (detailed in another thread).
I have previously complained to Ofgem and received compensation. I have also raised a couple of so-called 'Executive Complaints' and had apologies and amounts 'written off'.
In March my billing has gone wrong yet again and once again I am dealing with Executive Complaints. Npower unilaterally increased my DD from £100 to £330 due to incorrect billing. I made a complaint and they said they wouldn't take the higher amount - but they did.
I have referred them to the previously resolved complaints from the last couple of years, but they seem to have no record of it. Same issue every time (transposing meter readings and apply peak rate tariff to reduced-tariff readings).

In my view Npower's billing and complaints system is basically broken and I am locked in 'Groundhog Day' with them. I don't want to bother messing about with Ofgem again. I would like to take court action. Is there any reason I shouldn't issue a Letter Before Action and take Npower to small claims court? Will the court throw it out and tell me to go to Ofgem?
Basically I just need a correct bill and then I will be switching (should have done it before).

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Are you sure that you didn't deal with the Ombudsman? Ofgem won't get involved in such disputes.

Much as I like the Small Claims Court, the problem is they will normally only make an award for the money you have lost and the cost of the court action; not the time spent on the issue.

Should you take that path, then NPower will ensure that everything will be in order before the hearing in xx weeks time.

Much as the Ombudsman is pretty useless, you will normally get £50/£100 compensation.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The court will have expected you to go through the non-litigious complaint procedures first, which means a) Npower's own complaints procedure, and b) the Ombudsman.
    Nothing to do with Ofgem.
    If you made a formal complaint in March and it's unresolved after 8 weeks, then you can go to the Ombudsman.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport