EasyCar Club Day Insurance

Options
EasyCar Club is the AirB&B of cars. People can rent their car on their platform (website or app) and borrow it from them for a day or more at very reasonable prices. However, their day insurance costs £8.95 and has an excess of £300. The only other option is to not get one and the excess is £600.

Day insurance providers seem to only provide cover if the vehicle is owned by a rental company (even if in their terms it says Car Club this still refers to when it's owned by a company)

Does anyone know a car insurance provider who would cover an 'EasyCar Club' vehicle for a day or two even if it belongs to an individual and not a company?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    £8.95 sounds very reasonable for a days insurance. What makes you think you would find it cheaper elsewhere?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 June 2018 at 2:20PM
    Options
    Have you tried to rent a car from them?

I tried about 5 times for the same date and was rejected each time.
    That might have been because I was new and had no reviews (you don't get to know).
    I did then start messaging as it would be good to know the reason, one lady that came back to me said the car wasn't available but she was switching to her son's car and would get back to me once she'd changed the details with easy car.
    Ok I said.
    Oh dear she said I've just been to see the car and there is some damage so won't be available.
    Ok I said, but you do know I want it in 6 weeks time ???
    Ah, sorry won't have the car then.

So the issues I've found are

. you might not be able to get started as a newbie without reviews
    . as standard you won't know a reason for the rejection
    . you are vulnerable to something happening to the individual car e.g. damage the night before your hire or a personal emergency with the person handing over the keys
    . some sellers are not very organised with their admin (see conversation above)

I hired a car from europe car in the end. Cost me about £54 for the day (with excess insurance and breakdown), but I was confident that if an individual car had a problem that they would have other cars available and I was much less likely to be let down by any personal emergency or individual car issue. Their office (at london victoria) was also likely to be operating whether or not someone's kid fell over at school.

I have nothing against dealing with amateurs but just be aware you are dealing with amateurs and not proffessionals and i'm referring to both the cars AND the admin e.g. booking dates, handing over of keys.
  • christianb
    Options
    It´s the excess that has me worried, not the price. When you get insurance from websites, the charge you about 5 and don't have an excess.
  • christianb
    Options
    That was incredibly helpful and has made me reconsider
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills