PPI claim HELL

Options
Having had success claiming PPI against Barclays Bank and MBNA, I checked some car finance paperwork and recalled PPI on that policy so decided to complain about that.

November 2017 I complained to the lender, Black Horse, who told me that as they did not sell me the policy they were unable to deal with the complaint, so gave me contact details for the company who we purchased the car off, Car Shop Limited. Black Horse provided me with a PPI form and said that after 8 weeks, I would be considered for a Plevin payment unless I got a response from Car Shop.

After 7 weeks, nothing, not even an acknowledgement, so I contacted Black Horse who said they would chase with Car Shop as they too had heard nothing. I contacted the Financial Ombudsman to get the ball rolling in January 2018. Black Horse decided to give me a Plevin payout after the full 8 weeks as they had heard nothing from Car Shop.

The Ombudsman provided me with the head office address of Car Shop so I wrote to them to find out what was going on. I got a letter back claiming that the original form I provided was not forwarded on from the dealership (they are both in Northampton), and i would have to sign an Authority Form to allow them to investigate, and this was the same information conveyed to the Ombudsman.

March 2018, after still not having any contact, I chased it again with a letter to Car Shop and an email to the Ombudsman to find out what was going on.The response back from the Ombudsman was that Car Shop did not understand why the Ombudsman was investigating it as it had been over 6 years since the policy was taken out. The policy was taken out in 2008 but cancelled in 2011 when I realised it was pointless.

I have never had a final decision off Car Shop regarding my complaint nor have I had any contact off Car Shop since the letter in January.

The Ombudsman has said that because it is more than 6 years since the event there is nothing they can do.

I raised this with the FCA who have said that they are guidelines and as such, the Ombudsman decision is final.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

March 2018, after still not having any contact, I chased it again with a letter to Car Shop and an email to the Ombudsman to find out what was going on.The response back from the Ombudsman was that Car Shop did not understand why the Ombudsman was investigating it as it had been over 6 years since the policy was taken out. The policy was taken out in 2008 but cancelled in 2011 when I realised it was pointless.

That is a valid timebar. It meets the 3 year and 6 year rule (both have to be satisfied to allow the timebar. 6 year alone is not enough).

6 years from 2008 is 2014. 3 years from 2011 is also 2014. So, your last opportunity to complain was in 2014.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Bravebaldrick
    Options
    Except for the fact that I have claimed successfully against policies taken out in 2001

The FCA state on their website that there is no limit on how far back the policy was taken out to claim ....

It's all a load of BS as it appears that there is no set standard despite the fact that there is supposed to be
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Except for the fact that I have claimed successfully against policies taken out in 2001

No exception. If those were not timebarred then they cannot apply the timebar.
    The FCA state on their website that there is no limit on how far back the policy was taken out to claim ....

Unless it is timebarred or pre-regulation. Which is also contained on the FCA's websites in their technical briefings. The short consumer pages of a handful of paragraphs is never going to match the technical briefings setting out the rules over hundreds of pages.
    It's all a load of BS as it appears that there is no set standard despite the fact that there is supposed to be

No BS. There are defined standards.

You admitted yourself that you took action in 2011. That triggers the start of the 3 year timebar clock. By any chance, did you mention that fact you cancelled it in 2011 in your complaint?

If you are on an adjudicator decision you can appeal it to an ombudsman stating that you don't feel the 3 year rule has been met and that for it to be timebarred, both the 3 year and 6 year rules must be met. Not just the 6 year by itself.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure