Has my mechanic overfilled oil and is this a problem?

Options

Comments

• elsmandino
    elsmandino Posts: 281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your further input on this - just to answer a few issues raised:

I did indeed wipe the dipstick, before inserting.

Unfortunately, this is the worst dipstick that I have ever used.

The dipstick takes a bit of a curve to the sump, so when you pull the dipstick out, it scrapes oil off, making accurate checks really difficult.

With regards to trust - I implicitly do. He is so knowledgeable and honest and has never got anything wrong before.

My initial instinct was why would I question an absolute expert - just leave the car alone.

I was just being a bit nosey when I had a look at the dipstick - had no reason at all to do that, I just like tampering with things.

Stokes' calculation idea was clever (I should have specified that my car is a 1.8) - I managed to find the online manual for my car and it says that it takes 4.3 litres of oil and that the difference between the marks is 750ml.

I have printed off the photo of the dipstick and the distance between the marks is 8cms, equating to 94ml per cm.

The distance from the top mark to the top of the oil level is 3 cm, which equates to just 282ml.

That really is not much, is it, in the big scheme of things?

I am wondering whether he just knew this and topped things up, a bit, for good measure.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did you park it on a flat surface? Most roads have a camber towards the kerb so if the dipstick enters the sump on the passenger side it would show higher than its true level on a flat surface.

Personally I'd not worry about that much overfilled, it won't cause any issues.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Did you park it on a flat surface? Most roads have a camber towards the kerb so if the dipstick enters the sump on the passenger side it would show higher than its true level on a flat surface.
    elsmandino wrote: »
    I left the car overnight and made sure it was on completely level ground before checking.
    I think that answers your question.:p
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your further input on this - just to answer a few issues raised:

The dipstick takes a bit of a curve to the sump, so when you pull the dipstick out, it scrapes oil off, making accurate checks really difficult.

With regards to trust - I implicitly do. He is so knowledgeable and honest and has never got anything wrong before.

My initial instinct was why would I question an absolute expert - just leave the car alone.

I was just being a bit nosey when I had a look at the dipstick - had no reason at all to do that, I just like tampering with things.

Stokes' calculation idea was clever (I should have specified that my car is a 1.8) - I managed to find the online manual for my car and it says that it takes 4.3 litres of oil and that the difference between the marks is 750ml.

I have printed off the photo of the dipstick and the distance between the marks is 8cms, equating to 94ml per cm.

The distance from the top mark to the top of the oil level is 3 cm, which equates to just 282ml.

I am wondering whether he just knew this and topped things up, a bit, for good measure.

Taking your numbers on face value, I really wouldn't be bothered :)
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    I thought so, was it a 54 reg one with 34,000 miles being sold for £395?

Lol no, any Almera's I post on here are for instructional purposes only. My 51 plate was traded in at 135,000 miles.

Sweet as a nut that machine ran. I had started transporting garden waste in it so it was getting a bit spedery at the end though.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You left it overnight where all the oil would drain back to the sump. There is the reason.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

That's the problem with the internet; it makes everyone paranoid when really there is no issue. everyone want reassurance and validation of their decisions. How the !!!! did we manage before the 'net?!!
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ive had smoke coming from under the bonnet where oil has been spat out the dipstick tube - now thats overfilling :)
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's sad. Most cars now suffer total neglect. Car servicing standards from Main dealers and independents is appalling. Basically they do whatever they feel like. Universally appalling. Most people seem to have fallen for the story that cars are too complicated to look after yourself. The end result. Total neglect. Sad. Only ones looked after properly are the few still looked after by DIY enthusiasts like myself.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    It's sad. Most cars now suffer total neglect. Car servicing standards from Main dealers and independents is appalling. Basically they do whatever they feel like. Universally appalling. Most people seem to have fallen for the story that cars are too complicated to look after yourself. The end result. Total neglect. Sad. Only ones looked after properly are the few still looked after by DIY enthusiasts like myself.
    Sadly true. I had a Mercedes 180E which had a full Benz service history from new, and I enquired at my local MB dealership about the cost of servicing older models, to see if it was possible to keep up the record. They offered two service levels, standard and premium or something. I asked what the premium service had that the standard service didn't. "Oh, it's very thorough. They take the wheels off and check the brakes, everything!"

So you ask for a full, standard main dealer service, and they Don't. Even. Check. The. Brakes.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure