Employer went bust - Uni making me pay tuition fee

Options
2»

Comments

• tehone
    tehone Posts: 640 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I would imagine most universities will be setup in the same way (based on my experience of several), the individual taking the course is the one who is responsible for the course fees. It may be that there is sponsor to cover the fees, and they will be invoiced, but ultimately the student is responsible if the sponsor doesn't pay.

So unfortunately the OP will have to find some method of paying the fees - but its worth explaining the situation to the university and seeing if there are any bursaries etc that may be available (as well as to arrange a sensible affordable payment plan).

Please note that whilst a university can prevent you from attending a graduation ceremony or withhold your actual degree certificate/transcript, then can't withhold your actual results from you
  • ruperts
    ruperts Posts: 3,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 October 2019 at 2:27PM
    Options
    Socajam wrote: »
    Ignore us because we could be right. The responsibility lies with the husband.
    If someone was paying your mortgage, would you sit back and assume that it was paid every month,or would you check to ensure that it was paid.
    My accountant does my taxes every year and assures me that they are filed with the Inland Revenue. I always takes her word as "gospel". Something went off in my hand told me that I am playing with fire. What would happen if she were to lie to me, I would have no comeback, as the IR would say that it is my fault for not checking to ensure that my taxes are up to date.
    I have started to check and guess what, they were filed, sitting in my IR account was 1200 pounds If I had not decided to check, that money would have stated there unaccounted.
    My point is the company was paying his university fees, but in the final analysis, the burden of proof to ensure that those fees were paid, lies with the recipient - the OP's husband.

So if my employer sends me on a training course, which they do every now and again, it's my responsibility to subsequently contact the training provider to ensure the invoice has been paid? I've never heard of anybody doing that, ever. And then if it turns out my employer hasn't paid it, that debt would then pass to me, even though it was my employer's decision to send me on a course? Sorry but no, I disagree.

I had my degree paid for by my employer and the invoices went straight to my employer. If my employer failed to pay I would have withdrawn from the course. If the university failed to follow their own procedure for chasing the debt and the employer subsequently went into administration then I would have considered that the university's fault for not chasing the debt. There's no way I'd be paying it without a fight.
  • tehone
    tehone Posts: 640 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    ruperts wrote: »
    So if my employer sends me on a training course, which they do every now and again, it's my responsibility to subsequently contact the training provider to ensure the invoice has been paid? I've never heard of anybody doing that, ever. And then if it turns out my employer hasn't paid it, that debt would then pass to me, even though it was my employer's decision to send me on a course? Sorry but no, I disagree.

I had my degree paid for by my employer and the invoices went straight to my employer. If my employer failed to pay I would have withdrawn from the course. If the university failed to follow their own procedure for chasing the debt and the employer subsequently went into administration then I would have considered that the university's fault for not chasing the debt. There's no way I'd be paying it without a fight.

Different scenario, on a training course that your employer sends you, the company makes the contract and is therefore liable (I'm excluding variations whereby the employee may end up reimbursing the employer in some situations - eg. resignation)

For the university, the contract is with the employee (as a student) and the university. the university is allowing the student to state that they are sponsored, and that in the first instance invoices will be sent to the employer, the student remains liable. Its not unknown that for students who are eligible for SLC funding to not manage to apply properly and end up liable for their tuition fees - though this is usually resolved with a little back and forth
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure