PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Options

Comments

• 50smale
    Options
    Lovely post, surrounded with everything i think i need, and quite honestly apart from family i could do with losing it all, surrounded with designer wear and the latest tech and false freinds, late 50s and only now, find out I am not happy.
    Need to customize my life to include the things i need not the things i want or need to impress.
    Want to get back to basics and a simpler life with my family and the three freinds that i know will be there whatever.
    First kicked facebook and twitter, dont need negative people to feed from, gave away my smart phone and bought an nokia 2010 remember them,so i can call and text, and not have to look at peoples posts of there lunch to make them feel like a better person.
    Filled my kitchen with ingredients so as i can cook better meals.
    from scratch.

Need to get a simple life for a happy life.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 January 2018 at 12:41PM
    Options
    ploppy57,My journey to A Simpler Life is mostly about decluttering at the moment. I am finding it very hard - it is making me think about why I keep things and what is stopping me getting rid of this ‘stuff’. So here is to a Simpler Life:beer:
    I was exactly the same. It's taken me a long time to get rid of things, they were all hidden in boxes under the stairs and in cupboards, but I'm finally at the end of this journey and I'm now very minimal, it really is freeing to BE minimal, rather than just looking it. I still have 21 pairs of shoes, trainers, sandals, boots, flip flops (which I want to cut to 10) it used to be nearer 100. I think the way I did it was in sweeps. I got rid of what I could over time, then after a while, I did another swoop and found I could let go of more. I've got to a stage where I really don't want stuff. I honestly will have gotten rid of nearly 70% of my stuff when I've finished, hopefully this weekend. Check out Marie Kondo's method - it really kickstarted me letting go in an organized way. Good luck.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I keep Facebook but I wish I could rid of it. It's a useful tool for community issues but I do need to clear some friends, and family actually, off there. My fed has become a place where people sell to me and that's my fault for supporting too many crafter's, bloggers and friends with a side line of selling Scentsy etc.

I'll be cleaning friends, like and notifications later. Thank you for drawing it into the realms of something I need to do to be simpler.
  • ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm simplifying my time. I now work 4 days per week, and I arrange one thing only for the weekend. I have more time to relax, be creative, read and daydream.

It feels very strange after a lifetime of being busy.
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    RosesandRainbows,
    What a beautiful name & sentiment:T
    Saying no is not selfish, it is self preservation! The more you say no to certain things the more likely it is you can say yes to the things that matter & are important to you:)

My plan is not so structured - it consists of one action - DECLUTTER

MrsSD:)
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    I was exactly the same. It's taken me a long time to get rid of things, they were all hidden in boxes under the stairs and in cupboards, but I'm finally at the end of this journey and I'm now very minimal, it really is freeing to BE minimal, rather than just looking it. I still have 21 pairs of shoes, trainers, sandals, boots, flip flops (which I want to cut to 10) it used to be nearer 100. I think the way I did it was in sweeps. I got rid of what I could over time, then after a while, I did another swoop and found I could let go of more. I've got to a stage where I really don't want stuff. I honestly will have gotten rid of nearly 70% of my stuff when I've finished, hopefully this weekend. Check out Marie Kondo's method - it really kickstarted me letting go in an organized way. Good luck.

Save Dosh,
    Thank you so much for this:T

I am trying to keep certain things going on a daily basis like completely sorting any post, making sure the washing up gets done before bed time.
    My problem is the rest of the stuff and there is SO MUCH STUFF:eek: I definitely have the box mountain, the stuffed cupboards & drawers etc etc etc. I have had a look at the Kondo method but the ‘like for like’ stuff is scattered around in too many places. My current method is to pick a corner or a cupboard, drawer or shelf sort it completely and then try & keep it clean and tidy. I have one corner in my living room that only has the ‘viewing’ equipment. It is so easy to keep clean & such a pleasure to look at. I am currently working on another corner & at some stage in the far future all the corners will add up to a clutter free room. It is just sooo slow but then again slow & steady wins the race.

Thank you for the encouragement & I will keep at it.

MrsSD:)

Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello.
    Interesting comments about Facebook. I rejoined last year after several months off it completely so I could keep in touch with my son when he was away. This time round though I have far fewer "friends" and have only rejoined a couple of groups which are of personal interest to me. You can "unfollow" people so you don't have their posts automatically coming up in your feed, but they remain on your page if you choose and they won't be aware of your decision. It's made the whole process a lot simpler!
    Arilx
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • Aruba
    Aruba Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I am new to MSE but I am loving this thread and this approach and shall be following with interest. Looking forward to chatting
    Married, mother to 4 boys and from Ireland.

The dream, to be debt free . Working hard on this. We want to buy a forever home.

Rediscovering order, frugality, and the simple life
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Save Dosh,
    Thank you so much for this:T

My current method is to pick a corner or a cupboard, drawer or shelf sort it completely and then try & keep it clean and tidy. MrsSD:)

She suggests categories, rather than areas or rooms, it really works, you end up with everything the same together very quickly. For example books, get them all together from every room and disgard as many as you can. If you can, box the ones you don't want and put the rest in a home, next bric a brac etc., I tried to pack everything up, before I moved on. Her audio-book is on YouTube, its 'The Life-Changing Magic Of Tidying Up' and I must say it nearly sent me to sleep in many parts, but I did get the message, which is what counts. Good luck. xx
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    She suggests categories, rather than areas or rooms, it really works, you end up with everything the same together very quickly. For example books, get them all together from every room and disgard as many as you can. If you can, box the ones you don't want and put the rest in a home, next bric a brac etc., I tried to pack everything up, before I moved on. Her audio-book is on YouTube, its 'The Life-Changing Magic Of Tidying Up' and I must say it nearly sent me to sleep in many parts, but I did get the message, which is what counts. Good luck. xx

Thanks again Save Dosh. My problem is that I have lots (probably 30 or so) of boxes & I do not know the contents. At the moment my DH & I can move around all the rooms except one so cannot envisage emptying all the boxes.

Help!?!

MrsSD:doh:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure