Insurance companies for self-employed domestic cleaners?

Options
I'm looking into setting up as a domestic cleaner and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for insurance companies, please? I'm a sole trader, and I'll definitely need public liability insurance and possibly professional indemnity. Any pointers in the right direction would be great, thanks.

Comments

• paddyandstumpy
    Options
    Google insurance for Cleaning Contractors, there are a few decent schemes out there.

Also, try contacting the Contract Flooring Association, they may recommend some insurers?
  • kaggi
    kaggi Posts: 254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am looking for some info on this as well, any pointers you can give me ElleWoods? I have arranged public liability but I am not really sure what indemnity is and whether it is needed.
    Thanks
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can't imagine why a cleaner would need professional indemnity insurance and I'd be very wary of anybody suggesting that you do.

Public liability insurance is all you need unless you have employees in which case you need Employer's liability as well.

Any insurance broker would be able to arrange you a policy within a few minutes.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Zorillo wrote: »
    I can't imagine why a cleaner would need professional indemnity insurance and I'd be very wary of anybody suggesting that you do......
    Cleaners often have privileged access to their clients premises and may act unprofessionally by (eg.) repeating something confidential they have heard or seen which ends up to the financial detriment of the Client - who in turn would seek compensation from the cleaning company employing the responsible cleaner
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could say the same about any trade, it's an unnecessary expense for a self employed domestic cleaner in my opinion. But I concede that there is an exposure I hadn't considered there.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I would try a broker. We used to do the odd commercial insurance policy, we still do but more as a service than our main job.

There are loads of companies who will do what you want, many are household names. But you would be best speaking to a broker as they will search many of them for you in a fraction of the time.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Zorillo wrote: »
    You could say the same about any trade, it's an unnecessary expense for a self employed domestic cleaner in my opinion. But I concede that there is an exposure I hadn't considered there.

The OP is probably refering to Loss of Keys Cover, Efficacy and cover to items being cleaned.

These tend to be excluded by the standard policies most high street brokers would offer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure