Barclaycard application unsuccessful - help!

Options
Hi all,

I need your help, my brother would like to apply for barclaycard Initial like what I have got as he is on a benefit. I have tried to apply few times as I have put the employment as unemployed with £6,000 or less before tax. When I clicked on the submitted button, the application was unsuccessful.

Sorry, we're unable to offer you a Barclaycard right now.
Your application hasn't been successful at this time and we will write to you shortly confirming this. We may have declined your application because:

We don't have enough information from the credit reference agencies to make an informed decision
Your current levels of borrowing compared to income indicate that if you take out further credit you may find it difficult to keep up with repayments in the future
You haven't provided suitable evidence of your ability to pay - for example, employment status or suitable levels of income

Do you know what he need to do?

I have got no idea how I could help him to apply for a credit card.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Possibly the low income.

Ideally he needs to check his credit files for a defaults, late payments, other debts, make sure he's on the electoral roll etc.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Very low income is likely to be triggering it.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unemployed. He needs to get a job rather than debt.
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    For crying out loud don't encourage him to get debt while he's on such a low income.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It is possible for people who are unemployed to get a credit card. I've seen it done.

The first thing your brother should do is check his credit files. If he's not on the electoral roll or there are any nasties on his files I don't think anyone will offer him a credit card.

Capital One is an obvious place to try next. They do an initial soft search and offer '100% certainty before you apply'.

Vanquis, Think Money and Ocean offer something similar. Ocean and Think Money are a branded Capital One card. Acceptance criteria might differ slightly.

I've heard that Tesco is quite forgiving when offering their Foundation card.
  • chris0147
    chris0147 Posts: 357 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    Possibly the low income.

Ideally he needs to check his credit files for a defaults, late payments, other debts, make sure he's on the electoral roll etc.

How can he do that to check his credit files which he dont have?

He have never make the late payments or have other debts.

I dont really know what to do...

SnowTiger wrote: »
    It is possible for people who are unemployed to get a credit card. I've seen it done.

The first thing your brother should do is check his credit files. If he's not on the electoral roll or there are any nasties on his files I don't think anyone will offer him a credit card.

Capital One is an obvious place to try next. They do an initial soft search and offer '100% certainty before you apply'.

Vanquis, Think Money and Ocean offer something similar. Ocean and Think Money are a branded Capital One card. Acceptance criteria might differ slightly.

I've heard that Tesco is quite forgiving when offering their Foundation card.

How can he apply for barclaycard?

And how can he go to check on his credit files which he did not have?

I am not sure if he is on electoral roll. How I can find out?

This is the first time I am doing this as I have never got that problem before when I applied barclaycard.

He have only got barclays debt card so there are no nasties on his files. He have never got a credit card before or have bad credits history and he never went to court. I cant see why he cant apply for a credit card when he don't have a bad credits history in his name.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    chris0147 wrote: »
    How can he do that to check his credit files which he dont have?

He have never make the late payments or have other debts.

I dont really know what to do...

How can he apply for barclaycard?

And how can he go to check on his credit files which he did not have?

I am not sure if he is on electoral roll. How I can find out?

This is the first time I am doing this as I have never got that problem before when I applied barclaycard.

He have only got barclays debt card so there are no nasties on his files. He have never got a credit card before or have bad credits history and he never went to court. I cant see why he cant apply for a credit card when he don't have a bad credits history in his name.

Not ever having had credit doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a credit file. Current accounts will be reported to CRAs, with or without an overdraft facility for example.

Likewise never having had credit yourself doesn’t mean someone else hasn’t obtained credit (or tried to) fraudulently in your name.

That being said I think it’s far more likely that he is unemployed and on benefits that is causing the decline. Benefits are (in theory) enough to live off, no more, so if he ever got into debt he’d have no way of paying the money back.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    boo_star wrote: »
    That being said I think it’s far more likely that he is unemployed and on benefits that is causing the decline. Benefits are (in theory) enough to live off, no more, so if he ever got into debt he’d have no way of paying the money back.

This, basically. If your brother's only source of income is benefits, then he's going to struggle to repay any credit card debt. So card companies are understandably going to be reluctant to lend to him.

I have to ask, if he is living on benefits of £6000 pa, why on earth does he even want a credit card ? On that income there is no way he can afford anything more than the basic necessities, and certainly no reason to need a credit card. In fact, a credit card would more than likely lead him into a debt spiral, even if he got accepted. If he's struggling to live on what he already receives, then a visit to the CAB would be a much better option than taking on unaffordable debt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure