PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making savings before it's too late

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I agree with the above post 100%. I have only one cc and I pay if off in full every month, used to be paid from a savings account and will, in future, be paid from my other bank current account, the one I use all the time. I link my cc to amazon and paypal and use it, at least in part payment, every time I buy something that might need card protection. My aim is to use it a couple of times a month at least, to make sure it remains an active card

I have had a few temptations this month, mostly for books but I have resisted and soon forgotten about them. The resistance came easily, now that savings are in focus. My personal, not large, private pension is paid in on the 18th and that is the day when I will pay my tax bill, any time before then is too `risky` because of the pinch point that I can clearly see on m/s money. I am looking forward to the middle of february when I can start to transfer a monthly amount to my `smoothing bills` savings account. For me this is very much going back to the old days, I remember sitting on the bed with a notebook, children playing downstairs, when I strived very hard to end the month in credit by a couple of £. A similar smoothing account was a lifesaver
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will give the bank a call and see about keeping it on for the time being.
    I do run most things through a credit card for the points that's paid in full each month but I'm just a card holder it's DH credit card, I'm just a tight old begger there is nothing to be gained from using my own other than the credit availability history.
    Does anyone shop at the A supermarket ? I have a £50 gift card can I just use it like a pre paid card bit by bit or does it have to be used whole in one transaction, we don't use very many branded products so it would take me while to use up.
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    tori.k wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, I will give the bank a call and see about keeping it on for the time being.
    I do run most things through a credit card for the points that's paid in full each month but I'm just a card holder it's DH credit card, I'm just a tight old begger there is nothing to be gained from using my own other than the credit availability history.
    Does anyone shop at the A supermarket ? I have a £50 gift card can I just use it like a pre paid card bit by bit or does it have to be used whole in one transaction, we don't use very many branded products so it would take me while to use up.

Last year, I won 12 x £50 Tesco gift cards which are used like a pre paid card, so any balance on each card, remained on there until it was used. I would have thought the same applied to Asda :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • MankyVegSoup
    Options
    Love this thread.

We too have been taking a good look at our finances and are trimming the fat. Mr MVS's contract runs out in Feb (university) and although he has 3 months grace after that, so far no new funding has appeared. So definitely time to tighten the belts.

So far we have:

- remortgaged. Just come to the end of a 5 year fix which seemed a good idea at the time but was seriously uncompetitive compared with today's rates. Have taken £100 a month off that payment. Have also remortgaged on the flat we rent out and this will also save £100 + although the tax man will take a big cut.

- trimmed our Sky package to the minimum. Saving £50 a month - but no cricket this summer :-(

- cut £20 a week from our grocery budget. And I reckon we can do more without really noticing just by being more savvy and cutting waste.

We have a decent emergency fund and there is more fat we can trim if we really need to, but it's amazing how wasteful we get when we don't have to watch every penny.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tori, I see that you are a named person on you dh`s cc. My huband was the named person on mine until I realiised that if I died then the cc would die with me. I pdq got him a cc in his own name. He was hopeless with passwords and accessing the bank accounts, so his own cc would have seen him through the early days. I was a named person on his and he was a named person on mine. I do remember me ringing the bank re his own cc and then the bill came, which I had been expecting and was not a lot but I imagine some couples would not be so open about money
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I run Microsoft Money for both of us. So I download all his statements every month and update the accounts. But I've never really got to grips with spreadsheets so he has a whizzy budget sheet which, if it is to be believed shows we won't run out of money before all our pensions kick in. So I forward MS Money summaries to him and he updates his spreadsheet. So although he leaves the day to day maintenance to me, he also know what we have and where
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Hev
    Hev Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Popped into the library today, mainly to get out of the cold but we both very quickly found some great books so no more buying books (unless a bargain from charity shops). We must use the library here more, it's smaller than our last one but feels friendlier, it has a lovely atmosphere and a lot of groups run from there, just discovered a knitting group so might venture back for that, I'm not a very good knitter and hopeless at picking up stitches and stitching the item together but would love some help with putting baby cardigans and dolly clothes together. I've picked up the Crochet step by step book as well. Time to use my spare time to learn new skills. I can do a granny square but that's it :o

I'm telling myself it's never to late to learn and change :)

We've just this morning, had the talk regarding both being informed and prepared just in case something happens to one of us so must get moving on that. Technology and me don't always hit it off but today I took on learning to use the handset at Mr T's for the shopping and it was not too difficult to grasp even for me :rotfl: it's an excellent way to keep track as it adds up as you go and if you are spending too much you can cancel an item and pop it back. I regard this now as an excellent tool for saving money. Never too late to learn ;)
    Some people are so poor all they have is money ;)
    Jan 2018 GC £165.74/£200 = £34.26 left
    Feb 2018 GC £54/£200 = £146 left
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    First week of the year is almost over and I have not spent a penny, not counting direct debits for standard bills. I have been nice and busy so entertainment has not been a problem, stash busting mostly ie knitting and some baking. I may well knit some nice small hanging bags with leftover yarn, then I will put them away and forget about them until next christmas. when I will put goodies in them for presents. Things like hm socks from stash yarns.

I had a £25 prize from premium bonds, it all helps the savings
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    I'm £26.88 for the year, needed some fruit and fresh bits and fuel.
    Made use of the wind and got the washing dried on the line, we do need to cut down of the electric a bit to bring us back in line with the DD or will be getting a hike, I changed company each year for years now a get sick of the length of time it takes to get the credit back.
    Like you did Kittie, all our accounts are joint, income just goes into one pot, regardless who it's from, funeral costs are already sorted, historically DH has been a spender but the older we get the less that's become as he pretty much has all the gadgets he wants, and can't even justify to himself to add to it when we are in the process of downsizing. He entertaining himself with our youngest rolling project of restoring a classic mini, so that keeps him occupied at no cost to me :)
    We will have a lot of cost making the new house more sustainable for us longer term but that also should keep him busy as we will try and do as much as we can ourselves to keep the cost down.
  • Katieowl
    Katieowl Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I spent £30 yesterday, had to take DD to the hospital in 'big town' an hour away, so hit the cash and carry's while she was there for apt, needed a couple of things for work, but churlish not to look at reduced stuff :p Wow... haven't had a haul like that for a long time, 500g pastrami for 50p, kilo of mozerella for £1 :D Got some steaks reduced to £2.99 a pack, picked up three, but noticed the multi buy discount came up still, so nipped back for a forth, which took another four quid off :rotfl: Got loads of veg and apples too, including 20k sacks of spuds and onions for about £6 total, so won't need to do a shop for us this weekend. Also spotted they sell alpro almond milk much cheaper than the supermarket....so that may be a way to inch the pennies down, as it's dear if its not on offer in Mr T

The shops seemed to be very full of stuff they hadn't sold over Xmas, Wilco was packed with 50% off christmas, it looked like they'd sold next to nothing, although the cashier did say they had had an awful lot in...maybe everyone is catching on to Chrismas Excess being too much?

Only thing I bought in Wilco was a radiator rack to hang on front of rayburn, it does fit and I am doing great with not using the tumble drier!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure