SAAB CD player designed not to play CDRs?

Options

Comments

• S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    There's a difference between CDR's and CD's that you buy with music already on them.

CD Albums you buy in HMV are not "burned" but pressed like old Vinyl Records which means they do not react ot being in a CD player (Which gets hot with use)

But CDR's are effected by heat since they have slightly different meterials than the Pressed CDs. So the heat can slightly warm and cause the disk to expand a fraction of a 'mm' or 2, causing the laser to misread the disk, so it then throws up errors.

Usually the cheaper the brand, the more it expands.
    PC drives are usually in larger housings so are slightly cooler and have usually better mechanics in the drive, so they have less of a problem.
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • tronator
    tronator Posts: 2,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    googler wrote: »
    As I say, I'm using Maxell - I would have thought they're on a par with TDK.....?

As written above, there could be anything in it...
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    well saab my husband used to work for and lol they are manufactured by ford so really it must be your car playing up hun
    xx

I think not, Saabs are rebodied Vauxhalls.
    Now flogged off by GM to Spyker
    OP You are not making MP3 by any chance by mistake.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    edited 3 July 2010 at 2:23PM
    Options
    well saab my husband used to work for and lol they are manufactured by ford so really it must be your car playing up hun
    xx

They are manufactured by GM.

Beat me to it Penrhyn
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    Stick a half decent aftermarket player in it and flog the old one on ebay.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    S0litaire wrote: »
    But CDR's are effected by heat since they have slightly different meterials than the Pressed CDs. So the heat can slightly warm and cause the disk to expand a fraction of a 'mm' or 2, causing the laser to misread the disk, so it then throws up errors.

Usually the cheaper the brand, the more it expands.
    PC drives are usually in larger housings so are slightly cooler and have usually better mechanics in the drive, so they have less of a problem.

So, essentially, SAAB (or their badge-engineered audio manufacturer) has deliberately made the unit with less tolerance than any of the other CD players, and has specifically warned against using these discs in the player.

Wonder why they would do this?
  • googler
    Options
    penrhyn wrote: »
    OP You are not making MP3 by any chance by mistake.

Oh, please......

No. I'm not. I know the difference between a Red Book CD and an mp3 data disc, thank you very much.
  • googler
    Options
    Stick a half decent aftermarket player in it and flog the old one on ebay.

Not practical.

The audio unit is tied in to a separate display, and to the wheel-mounted controls, and seems to be unique to SAAB/GM.

Also, unless the audio unit is 'divorced' from the car with the workshop Tech 1 unit, it won't work in another 9-3, where it gets 'married' to the new car, again with Tech 1. So I'd need to visit the dealer to get it removed, and the buyer would need to do same to get it fitted.
  • S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    googler wrote: »
    So, essentially, SAAB (or their badge-engineered audio manufacturer) has deliberately made the unit with less tolerance than any of the other CD players, and has specifically warned against using these discs in the player.

Wonder why they would do this?

They didn't make it specifically to foul up CDRs it's just plain physics, heat generated by most players effects CDRs more than Pressed Album CDs. They are just covering their legal @$$'s ^_^
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • weegie.geek
    weegie.geek Posts: 3,432 Forumite
    Options
    In fairness, it depends on the hardware used. Plenty of car CD players will play CDR/CDRW. Saab's has trouble with them. Perhaps a design choice makes it heat up discs more than most do. Also though, lots of older drives had trouble with CDR/CDRW, but it's possible in some instances to tweak a pot to get the laser to play nice with them.

I wouldn't say it was necessarily physics to blame, but more the drive being designed with no regard for playing CDR/CDRW.
    They say it's genetic, they say he can't help it, they say you can catch it - but sometimes you're born with it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure