Advice Needed For Northern Rock Mortgage Shortfall from 2009

Options
I would really appreciate someone advice.

I have received today a court claim form from Salford County Court Money Claims with the claimant being drydensfairfax for a total sum of £59.163.18 in relation to a mortgage debt outstanding in the form of a shortfall from the sale of a property on 31/07/2009.

This is the first correspondence I have received in regard to this matter. I am looking for some legal advice as to how to respond to this as I am not sure as to whether or not this claim is defendable. I did have a Northern Rock mortgage associated to this property which was repossessed after I was involved in an industrial accident at work. I have heard nothing since 2008 until today.

I have a mortgage currently with my wife on our home and I am anxious not to get any associated charges against our home as we are looking to move in the next 18 months.

Any advice on what to do would be appreciated!

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have moved this to the mortgage section as it was not about stoozing
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    No doubt there will people on here with useful information, however given the amounts involved and the potential harm it could do your future finances I would highly recommend seeking proper legal advice.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bermonia wrote: »
    I would highly recommend seeking proper legal advice.

It's less common for this to be automatically bundled with your house insurance, but it's worth checking your policy before paying for it yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure