Rules about car covers

Options

Comments

• shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Can Civil Enforcemet Officers deal with number plate offences?
    I don't know, but I do know that they can deal with vehicle excise offences and if they are unable to check the VED status of a car because of a hidden plate, they might be okay to remove anything illegally covering it.
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    Absolutely correct.

Why does the law allow these ridiculous get-outs and loopholes?
  • thetoothfairy
    thetoothfairy Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would have thought/hoped that if that was to happen then whoever was responsible for the damage would fight any claim due to the vehicle number plate being illegally covered. (assuming that the vehicle was parked on a public highway).

If the owner decided to take it to court, they would probably have to explain why they parked their vehicle with the number plate not visible as required by law knowing that risked a fine of up to £1000.

Is that even the case if it’s parked on a public road but within a Bay Area (the parking Bay Area is one long white dotted line as opposed to specific bays)?
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't know, but I do know that they can deal with vehicle excise offences and if they are unable to check the VED status of a car because of a hidden plate, they might be okay to remove anything illegally covering it.

But the offence is not displaying the vrm if it's covered not tax.

Being civil enforcement I'd say they need to know there is an offence of no tax and not merely suspect it as the vrm is covered.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Non-display of a number plate is an offence under section 42(1) of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994, so it is a vehicle excise offence. It may depend upon the precise definition of the officers' powers.

Bizarrely, the Act makes no mention of roads, public or not, so it seems the offence can be committed in a car park, or indeed your garage.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    edited 6 August 2018 at 2:51PM
    Options
    Why not? Have they been told they shouldn't by their employers or are you suggesting there is some sort of legislation preventing it?
    It's probably a liability thing.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    Options
    You can try reporting to it your local/community police officer and see what they have to say.

Does it move away and return on a regular basis? Can you block it out so that it has to find somewhere else to park? Eventually it'll get shifted somewhere someone will cut off the cover to expose the lack of permit and then the council will pounce on it.
  • thetoothfairy
    thetoothfairy Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It does move but I am never around when it does! But always returns! It!!!8217;s kust annoying as parking is so in demand so I just feel that someone who doesn!!!8217;t even live here is taking up our precious space. If it has a permit showi g then fine, but it doesn!!!8217;t so it is frustrating
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    Non-display of a number plate is an offence under section 42(1) of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994, so it is a vehicle excise offence. It may depend upon the precise definition of the officers' powers.

Bizarrely, the Act makes no mention of roads, public or not, so it seems the offence can be committed in a car park, or indeed your garage.

It's not an offence until you shut the door.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    Options
    Your garage wouldn't be a public road and thus the act doesn't apply?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure