Picking energy supplier

Options
oz0707
oz0707 Posts: 881 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Whats the most efficient way to pick new energy supplier. Have gone on the MSE tool and it comes up with either AVRO or ENGIE. Why energy pricing is not just done like petrol with the unit rates on the front page of websites is beyond me. Anyway i digress...Are these likely to be the best bet or are there secret/harder to find cheaper suppliers out there?

Comments

• WhoIsThat
    Options
    oz0707 wrote: »
    Whats the most efficient way to pick new energy supplier. Have gone on the MSE tool and it comes up with either AVRO or ENGIE. Why energy pricing is not just done like petrol with the unit rates on the front page of websites is beyond me. Anyway i digress...Are these likely to be the best bet or are there secret/harder to find cheaper suppliers out there?

I find that blindly sticking a pin a list of suppliers and tariff comes up with a great choice.

Take care not to stick the pin in a petrol pump pipe hose, as I found the the forecourt owners don't like that when choosing which pump to dispense from.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

My recent posts in this Energy forum are clear: Going with a small supplier is risky and is likely to save you a small amount of money only in the short term before they go under. For peace of mind albeit pricier go Big Six. But at the end of the day it's your own choice and no comparison site is going to help you if your choice is a bad one. Good luck.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Look at more than 1 comparison site, there is no obligation on the site to show all the companies and tariffs available.

Indeed some tariffs are only available on a given comparison site as a "special deal" to that site.
    Some tariffs only appear on the comparison sites and never on the suppliers own website.

The list of OFGEM approved comparison site is here https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/how-switch-energy-supplier-and-shop-better-deal/compare-gas-and-electricity-tariffs-ofgem-accredited-price-comparison-sites

As for why the sites don't highlight unit rates, well it is because the standing charges that 99.9% of tariffs charge are different so you need to consider only the total annual cost of the fuel.

And which company to pick? Well search this site for the official feedback threads for that company as well as Google. Then jump in with your fingers crossed.
  • oz0707
    oz0707 Posts: 881 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    WhoIsThat wrote: »
    I find that blindly sticking a pin a list of suppliers and tariff comes up with a great choice.

Take care not to stick the pin in a petrol pump pipe hose, as I found the the forecourt owners don't like that when choosing which pump to dispense from.

Why don't you do it with a fag in your gob because it will be as productive as posting unhelpful advice on a forum.

It seems bizarre to me they way energy costs are always quoted as estimated usage. A unit rate and standing charge rate would be more than enough for me to do the maths but that seems hidden behind a load of 'averages' and 'assumptions'

I was just looking for a bit of a speedy hack be that the best recommended comparison site from people in the know or a recommended supplier thanks GSMLNX for the helpful link
  • WhoIsThat
    Options
    Why don't you do it with a fag in your gob ...

I don't smoke; a dirty digusting habit. ;)
    ... because it will be as productive as posting unhelpful advice on a forum....

I'm not even going to attempt to compete with the obvious expert you are on that score ;)
  • OPMDaze
    OPMDaze Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    WhoIsThat wrote: »

Obviously if the pin selects Npower have another go :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport