Fire Extinguisher - Repressurize or Buy New

Options
Hi,
I have had a 2kg powder fire extinguisher for about 5 years, but never had to use it. The pressure gauge stayed in the green the whole time.

A few days back, I decided to give it a test, so gave it a very quick squirt. All seemed fine.

However, I notice that it is completely depressurized.

Is that normal, or does it suggest a fault? (I assumed I would be able to test it without any significant effect on the pressure)

Should I bother trying to get it checked/repressurized or should I just get a new one?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A few days back, I decided to give it a test, so gave it a very quick squirt. All seemed fine.

However, I notice that it is completely depressurized.

Is that normal, or does it suggest a fault? (I assumed I would be able to test it without any significant effect on the pressure)

Should I bother trying to get it checked/repressurized or should I just get a new one?
    I doubt you could get it refilled for less than the cost of a new one.

It is likely the valve was fine when it had never been used, but the 'quick squirt' meant the valve wasn't properly sealing (perhaps some powder was on the valve seat) which over a period of time would allow the gas to escape. I'd expect the design of the valve to be sufficient to stop the extinguisher 'squirting', but not enough to retain pressure long-term once operated.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Streaky_Bacon
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    I'd expect the design of the valve to be sufficient to stop the extinguisher 'squirting', but not enough to retain pressure long-term once operated.

So, if I understand correctly, these are not really suitable for more than one use, even if the first use is just a quick test (because they may well not seal properly again).

Is that right? If so, lesson learnt :D
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So, if I understand correctly, these are not really suitable for more than one use, even if the first use is just a quick test (because they may well not seal properly again).

Is that right? If so, lesson learnt :D
    I couldn't say as fact, especially without knowing the make and model, but I'd expect that to be the case.

All the times I've been on fire safety training at work we were always told never to test extinguishers ourselves and to check them regularly to make sure nobody else had tampered with them.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    If you've not already bought a replacement, I would strongly suggest a water-mist extinguisher.
    I have to undergo fire fighting training on a annual basis and I've seen just how quick and efficient these extinguishers are not to mention, they leave next to no mess whereas it can take hours/days cleaning up after a a dry chemical extinguisher has been used.

Even though they are water, they can be used on household electrical fires as well as oil and fat fires and paper/wood/plastic fires.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As other have said a new one will most likely cost no more than re-charging,that is if you can find somebody to re-charge it.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Regulations require Fire extinguishers be pressure tested every five years (used or not) It costs more to test than replace. Whilst that applies to commercil premises I doubt you will find anyone who would be willing to refil without doing a pressure test even if it is for domestic use. You say that there was no pressure so that points towards a lack of integrity anyway.
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    If you've not already bought a replacement, I would strongly suggest a water-mist extinguisher.
    I have to undergo fire fighting training on a annual basis and I've seen just how quick and efficient these extinguishers are not to mention, they leave next to no mess whereas it can take hours/days cleaning up after a a dry chemical extinguisher has been used.

Even though they are water, they can be used on household electrical fires as well as oil and fat fires and paper/wood/plastic fires.

"they can be used on household electrical fires as well as oil and fat fires"

I wouldn't like to test that theory out:eek:
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    gardner1 wrote: »
    "they can be used on household electrical fires as well as oil and fat fires"

I wouldn't like to test that theory out:eek:

It's not theory. I've seen it done in practice on a wide range of fires.
    You don't really think an extinguisher could be sold in the EU as being suitable for certain classes of fires until it had undergone extensive testing and certification do you?

There are plenty of videos online showing just how effective these extinguishers are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNFD-z4hXXQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbjzQKDwl3o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8Km_LuKbo
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's not theory. I've seen it done in practice on a wide range of fires.
    You don't really think an extinguisher could be sold in the EU as being suitable for certain classes of fires until it had undergone extensive testing and certification do you?

There are plenty of videos online showing just how effective these extinguishers are:
    Looks like the kind of fun I had in my youth. ;):A

The only thing I'd say is I wouldn't want to touch any of the electrical items after they were sprayed. People would need to be well trained to know they need to be isolated before attempting to touch or move them - which could be tricky with a consumer unit fire where the temptation would be strong to turn the power off as soon as the fire is out, but obviously the usual isolation point for the housholder is the switch on the consumer unit itself.
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    But a water mist being used on a chip pan fire by untrained/panicky/women/oap....which took almost 6 seconds in video with flames spreading/flaring up....much safer with fire blanket or damp towel
    Because in wrong hands quite a few people will panic after a couple of seconds when flame flares up and as for the electrical items it looked very safe when used on the board of lights/switches/tv. But most houses aren't like that....start spraying one of those around a kitchen and i think the outcome might be different with toaster microwave fridge freezer especially if sprayed from the back
    No thanks i'll stick with fire blanket and co2 extinguisher
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport