Party Wall - 1 TV Noise in EVERY Room

Options
Hi all. We have a 1930's semi which has recently been renovated i.e. new stud walls, chimney breast removed etc (all on party side). Our OAP neighbour likes her TV loud, which is fair, she's in her right. My problem is that whilst the TV is in her kitchen, we can hear it CLEAR AS DAY in every single room in the house, upstairs and down. I understand sound travels in strange ways, but is this common? I'd understand the joining kitchen walls but every room?! We we're going to soundproof the bedroom wall to stop the noise (I assumed wrongly the TV was in the adjoining bedroom) but now I don't know where to turn :(

Has anyone experienced this? Any comments are welcome please.

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When the house was built there was no requirement for sound proofing. TV hadn't got off the ground in the 1930s. Short of sound proofing the whole house there is little you can do.

I'm in a similar situation. My walls are so bad I can hear them change their minds. I've jus go used to it and don't notice it now.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 9 December 2018 at 9:11AM
    Options
    Actually - the neighbour isn't within her rights to have her tv as loud as she pleases.

Her (presumed?) hearing loss is her problem - not other peoples.

There are hearing loop things deaf people can use on tv's that mean they get the volume they personally want - but other people don't suffer from it in the process. My father had to get one and did so.

Have you thought of mentioning this to her and asking if she'd get one?

As an aside - houses may not have had tv's around at the time they were built - if that was the 1930s. BUT - on the other hand - they probably had a lot more people living in them (ie the larger families of that era). People = noise (if only from several conversations/shouting matches going on at once).
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    + 1 to a hearing loop.

When I lost a sale due to a 90-something's TV blaring out at the wrong moment during a viewing for measuring-up, I gave her son a choice: loop or the council's EHO and a potential ASBO.

Suddenly, this young man, aged about 60, who'd shrugged and told me earlier there was 'nothing' he could do, sprung into action and the loop was there by the end of the week.

The old lady was delighted, hearing the TV properly for the first time in years. Silence reigned.

However that buyer didn't come back!
  • ben0101
    Options
    Great replies, thanks all. I never considered the hearing loop, I'll mention it to her. My main worry is hearing the next residents in years to come - most probably with kids!
  • mldthundercat
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. We moved into ours and had it completely renovated, including replastering. Unfortunately that's when we started to notice the noise, otherwise I would had put up a stud wall alongside party wall with sound proofing material. I had a quote for rock wall to be pumped underneath floorboards which also claims to help, but still not convinced it will help reduce the noise travelling up?

Now we've just decided to save up again and finally make the move to a detached, despite us loving the house and location :(
  • ben0101
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. We moved into ours and had it completely renovated, including replastering. Unfortunately that's when we started to notice the noise, otherwise I would had put up a stud wall alongside party wall with sound proofing material. I had a quote for rock wall to be pumped underneath floorboards which also claims to help, but still not convinced it will help reduce the noise travelling up?

Now we've just decided to save up again and finally make the move to a detached, despite us loving the house and location :(

Thanks for the input. We're willing to put up sound-proofing stud walls, especially in the bedroom where quiet time is needed however now I know the noise-producer is downstairs and nowhere near the bedroom I'm confused as to how to silence it :( Detached is the be-all fix I suppose but we're not willing to give up yet!

I wish you luck :)
  • mldthundercat
    Options
    I'm amazed there isn't a company that can't pump something between the party walls to help reduce the noise.

Gap in the market? Dragons den millionaire opportunity?
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm amazed there isn't a company that can't pump something between the party walls to help reduce the noise.

Gap in the market? Dragons den millionaire opportunity?

Aren't most party wall single skin?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    z1a wrote: »
    Aren't most party wall single skin?
    Yes, that's why I'm not amazed like the poster above! They may vary in thickness, though.

The reason for a cavity isn't there, as it doesn't usually rain inside a building, so there's no need for an air gap to prevent transfer of moisture.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Buy them a set of bluetooth headphones for £9.99 from Amazon.

Job done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport