Beefing up home security

Options
2»

Comments

• pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What about one of those doorbells that ring on your phone with a CCTV film of who is there?
    I believe some burglars will knock first to see if there's someone at home or a dog.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • nohassles
    Options
    Joining this thread rather than starting a new one as I'm in a similar position. I am considering buying Amazon Blink to remotely monitor my home. Just wondering if anyone has used it, also curious to know if Home Insurance companies consider having one as being sufficient burglar alarm system.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    nohassles wrote: »
    , also curious to know if Home Insurance companies consider having one as being sufficient burglar alarm system.

In my experience most if not all want traditional alarm systems, and that they are maintained by a recognised company.

I have a fully wired system, regularly tested and with alerting, but as I do it myself I always have to say NO to this question.
  • Lorian
    Options
    If you are going to put up window warning stickers, and have the window space (the stickers are quite big) these are my favourite:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Redcare-Alarm-Window-Stickers/162122818438

The stick from the inside. get the location right before applying. they DONT come off in one piece.

(not my auction)
  • nohassles
    Options
    my 'traditional' alarm system was crowbarred off the wall once they heard it going off
  • Lorian
    Options
    nohassles wrote: »
    my 'traditional' alarm system was crowbarred off the wall once they heard it going off

Best to make sure its high enough they need to be carrying a full sized ladder to get to it.
  • nohassles
    Options
    Lorian wrote: »
    Best to make sure its high enough they need to be carrying a full sized ladder to get to it.

Unfortunately this was a system I inherited from the previous owner. What I meant though was that being able to monitor and be notified of an incident happening is arguably more effective that raising an alarm which lets the intruder know they've been detected (and neighbours/passers-by generally do nothing about).
  • Lorian
    Options
    I don't disagree. my alarm system and camera systems both tell me whats going on at any time.
  • nohassles
    Options
    May I ask what system(s) you use?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills