PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Nationwide asking us to include them in insurance

Options
Hey Peeps!

So in a clause of our Mortgage offer it states we need to include interest to the Mortgage Lender (Nationwide) in the Home Insurance policy.

We have taken out insurance with Admiral after calling Admiral on the Monday they said it was standard practice to include a clause in their insurance that states interest for the mortgage lender also. So Tuesday comes and we buy the insurance... Surprise, Surprise the mortgage lender isn't mentioned in any of the documents or even the small print.

Contacted Admiral today via email and they have stated a law was passed in 2012 meaning they legally can't add Nationwide's name to the policy or mention that the mortgage lender retains any interest in the policy and that they're sorry.

I've contacted a couple other insurers such as Lloyds etc and they also all say the same. So what are we supposed to do? We have just exchanged and will be completing next week and our solicitor has asked for proof that we have included Nationwide in our insurance otherwise he can't sign them off. We're really starting to panic as we don't know where else to turn! :(

Any help guys would be most appreciated!!!!

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tell your solicitor to tell Nationwide what you've told us - I'm sure it won't be the first time customers have pointed out that they're asking the (near) impossible.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A law was passed my great white ****.

The ABI agreement with the banking industry ended, that's all. Plenty of insurers are happy to add lender interest. It's only the flog it quick and cheap brigade from comparison sites who seem to have a problem with this.

As an example, our L&G quote system allows us to enter lender name and account number when producing illustrations and issuing cover confirmation which meets the CML Handbook requirement solicitors need.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • HouseBuyer77
    Options
    Both my mortgage lender and freeholder are mentioned as having an interest on my buildings insurance policy (it's leasehold but leaseholders are responsbile for arranging building insurance). This just involved asking my insurance broker to do so.

May be worth phoning an insurance broker for a quote. They can ensure the interest gets added (explicitly say this is a condition of you taking up the policy).

Cancel the Admiral policy. Ask for a full refund without administration fee as they gave you false information about the policy.
  • HouseBuyer77
    Options
    Oh and as you've exchanged only cancel the old once the new has taken effect!
  • abillybob94
    Options
    Thanks peeps so it sounds as if Admiral are just trying to fob us off and lying about the law thing. Can anyone point me to an insurer or give me a name of insurer that they know will definitely name our Mortgage Lenders on the policy?

It would be a big help! :)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    1) ask Adniral to quote 'the law' that changed.

2) refer that law to your solicitor and Nationwide

Or do as Housebuyer77 sugested.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cancel Admiral, take out another policy.
    AXA allow you to note the lender on the insurance documents.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    Options
    Ironically, we're with Nationwide home insurance and they noted HSBC as our mortgage company on our policy. :)
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,767 Forumite
    Options
    As your solicitor is the one required to ensure you meet your lender's CML Handbook requirement (it's 6.14.2) when insuring the property, ask them for their views of insurers since the end of the ABI/Bankers agreement.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kingstreet wrote: »
    As your solicitor is the one required to ensure you meet your lender's CML Handbook requirement (it's 6.14.2) when insuring the property, ask them for their views of insurers since the end of the ABI/Bankers agreement.
    The CML Handbook no longer refers to having the lender's interest noted (if you can see 6.14.2 you're looking at an out of date version) - I think the Nationwide is now unusual if it's still asking for it as part of their mortgage conditions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure