Party wall surveyor in Essex

Options
Lebene
Lebene Posts: 41 Forumite
Hi there,

my mum insists on a party wall surveyor to deal with the neighbours, but I do not want to use these suspicious people who solicited us.

I would be so happy if anyone could recommend trustworthy PW surveyors who won't try to fleece our neighbours and won't try and turn on us/do dubious things.

Please don't tell me 'don't get a PW Surveyor', because it is not my choice and no one from the internet can convince my mum but I can at least get a reliable service.

My area is Barking and Dagenham so anyone who can reach us there.

And so you know, the neighbours never greeted themselves before they one day just rocked up at 8am and started loudly banging, drilling, sawin and clashing about every day. It was only until two weeks ago when I informed them that it is not allowed to continue work after 6pm or 1pm on saturdays that they stopped but yep, they were here over the bank holiday.

[They never served notice or informed us about their loft conversion/extension either. And the work they did caused considerable amount of debris to fall out of our chimney which makes us wonder if they have removed the chimney system without informing anyone as they must.]

We just want to make sure that their back extension will not cause issue to the structure of both our buildings, especially as the depth is quite large and not something we are happy with as it will overshadow our garden and we'll be boxed in.

Many thanks

Comments

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    You might be better off asking for or searching for surveyors in East London....Barking and Dagenham is not in Essex and hasn't been for half a century I'm afraid, it's a good 6-8 miles away from the Essex border.
  • Lebene
    edited 30 March 2016 at 12:15AM
    Options
    Okay, I know that but my postal address is still Essex so that's why I include it. Also, it's very easy to get in on the A13 provided there is no traffic accident (good luck with that) I use my post code in most searches but it'd not the issue of seeing the companies, it's the issue of knowing if they are reliable or not. :(

I already know that I shouldn't go for companies that solicit your services.

I have found one chartered surveyor so far... otherwise it's been pretty dry. I want them to be close and not be stuck in traffic on the other side of London.

Thank you for the advice. :)
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Lebene wrote: »
    Hi there,

my mum insists on a party wall surveyor to deal with the neighbours, but I do not want to use these suspicious people who solicited us.

Many thanks

:T:T:T:T:T:TAt least you know not to deal with these ambulance chasers.

It is your neighbours that should have employed the surveyor not you. The neighbour would have born all the costs. I guess you actually know that given your knowledge of PWSs.

Given what it's going to cost you I would take some legal advice, the legal advice line included in many household insurance policies is excellant for this.

If the neighbour won't foot the bill and they have done something wrong then you should still be able to claim the damages and the PWS costs if you do have to employ 1 yourself.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Skylar34
    Skylar34 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Have a look on the federation of party wall surveyors website, there is a find a surveyor bit on there, put in your postcode and that will give you a list of surveyors nearby
  • Skylar34
    Skylar34 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry I should have said faculty not federation
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do they have planing permission for this extension, unless it's within permitted development?A PW surveyor cannot do anything to help you now the work has started, all you can do it take out a civil action and maybe get an injunction to cease the work if it is illegal or dangerous, so you need a solicitor, not a surveyor-and deep pockets.
    That has nothing to do with the size of the extension, which is purely a planning matter. If PP was applied for, the LA would have notified you by letter.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • cyclonebri1
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Do they have planing permission for this extension, unless it's within permitted development?A PW surveyor cannot do anything to help you now the work has started, all you can do it take out a civil action and maybe get an injunction to cease the work if it is illegal or dangerous, so you need a solicitor, not a surveyor-and deep pockets.
    That has nothing to do with the size of the extension, which is purely a planning matter. If PP was applied for, the LA would have notified you by letter.

I think planning or building regs must have been applied for, this is the way these ambulance chasers source their work, by trolling local authority websites.

An approach to the council would be my first step having thought further;)

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The LA have no influence over potential breaches of the Party Wall Act, it's a purely civil dispute. They will only get involved if the work breaches Building Control regs.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • cyclonebri1
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    The LA have no influence over potential breaches of the Party Wall Act, it's a purely civil dispute. They will only get involved if the work breaches Building Control regs.

No, you don't get what I'm saying. Call the council to find out what was applied for is the way to go, the poster doesn't seem clear on what was actually carried out.
    Agreed if there is a civil issue then the LA won't get involved, but you will have evidence of a breach,;);)

• Lebene
    Options
    :T:T:T:T:T:TAt least you know not to deal with these ambulance chasers.

It is your neighbours that should have employed the surveyor not you. The neighbour would have born all the costs. I guess you actually know that given your knowledge of PWSs.

Given what it's going to cost you I would take some legal advice, the legal advice line included in many household insurance policies is excellant for this.

If the neighbour won't foot the bill and they have done something wrong then you should still be able to claim the damages and the PWS costs if you do have to employ 1 yourself.

Our neighbours are Chinese and don't speak English)especially when they don't wanna know). Although I speak Mandarin, they are so oblivious that I finally found a trustworthy local PWS who will still do things as if the neighbours take on the cost. Also my Mandarin wasn't really prepped for talking about the PWA
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure