How do I cancel car insurance auto renewal (admiral)

Options
I paid in full(annually) for my current cover so cant stop a direct debit with the bank because their isn't one. how do I stop the auto renewal with admiral?

Its due on the 3rd of May

Thought it would be easily done online.

Comments

• Speedster2
    Speedster2 Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It does look pretty straightforward on their website. Contact Us - enter details of type of insurance (Car) - Select renewal - The box gives numbers, a link to a secure form and one to the My Account portal.
  • tasticz
    tasticz Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    For future reference just by cancelling a direct debit you do not end a policy. You need to contact your provider and tell them you want the insurance to lapse/no longer want to renew.

If you just cancel direct debit you may end up having your insurance cancelled as payment won't go through and also may have to pay premium for the notification period when the insurer cancels your policy.
  • JohnMclean
    Options
    This post was from a year ago - now June 2020, however its still the same. There is something 'sneaky' going on here with Admiral Travel Insurance.
    1. I got a reminder email - HOWEVER - the reminder that they were about to Auto Renew actually went into my SPAM folder! Now when I took out the policy a year ago, none of the emails from Admiral went in to SPAM. So they must have some embedded links etc in the renewal email that triggers the SPAM filter in my email system - I use Outlook.com, like millions of others!
    2. When I took out the policy, I do not recall a selection for Auto Renewal. They set Auto renewal by default! I would never have selected that!
    3. The only cancel option on the renewal email is to telephone them on their 0333 number - OK at least not premium!
    4. In the website in My Account, again no option anywhere to Cancel the Renewal, OR to change from Auto renewal to Manual.
    I think they should be investigated on 2 accounts: (1) default of Auto Renewal on taking out a policy, or at least setting to manual either not available or very difficult / hidden. (2) the Auto Renewal emails being loaded with SPAM triggering content, so many people will miss the email and be charged.
    Admiral Travel Insturance - BEWARE!
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would have thought anybody reading this website would be shopping around for alternative prices, and then contacting Admiral to see if they can beat them - and if not, they can at that point tell them not to renew.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    John - dear or dear! Deliberately putting e-mails into your spam folder whatever next?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    1. I got a reminder email - HOWEVER - the reminder that they were about to Auto Renew actually went into my SPAM folder! Now when I took out the policy a year ago, none of the emails from Admiral went in to SPAM. So they must have some embedded links etc in the renewal email that triggers the SPAM filter in my email system - I use Outlook.com, like millions of others!

The insurer does nothing to influence it going to your spam folder.

Spam filters are not 100% accurate.  Some email providers are overly aggressive.  It could be worse.  For example, apple emails don't even put the email in a spam folder.  They just don't show it anywhere.  Others will put it into a spam folder for you to check through to make sure there are no false positives.  It sounds like you never checked through it.

2. When I took out the policy, I do not recall a selection for Auto Renewal. They set Auto renewal by default! I would never have selected that!
    a) there is no option so you would not recall is as it wasnt there  and b) you did agree to it when you took out the policy.

I think they should be investigated on 2 accounts: (1) default of Auto Renewal on taking out a policy, or at least setting to manual either not available or very difficult / hidden. (2) the Auto Renewal emails being loaded with SPAM triggering content, so many people will miss the email and be charged.
    Auto renewals are not unlawful or wrong.   So, nothing to investigate.
    Spam filters are YOUR responsibility.    It is your settings and choices that result in email going into the spam folder.  So, investigate yourself and you will find that it is you that failed.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback