Anyone else appalled?

Seems that those dirty old black cabs belching out all manor of toxic fumes have been exempted from the London ULEZ by the cabbies best mate Sadiq “war on Uber” Khan.

Says it all really.

Comments

• scones
    scones Posts: 58 Forumite
    Not really, given that they already have a pretty comprehensive strategy for getting rid of the diesel-belchers over the next few years:
    https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/taxis-and-private-hire/emissions-standards-for-taxis

For example, the following are already in place:
    • A ban on taxis more than 15 years old
    • Active consultation on reducing this limit to 12 years
    • No new licences issued for new diesel taxis since the end of 2017
    • Zero emissions capability required for new registrations since the end of 2017

Plus, they're actually paying taxi owners to de-licence vehicles that are younger that 15 years but don't meet the latest standards.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    scones wrote: »
    they already have a pretty comprehensive strategy for getting rid of the diesel-belchers over the next few years.

“next FEW YEARS

..... and here’s a headline from a recent study “London black cabs up to 30 times more ‘toxic’ than cars

Can I deduce from your apparent cavalier attitude to air pollution that you and your family don’t live in central London?

No other vehicles have been given exemptions inc. for the police, fire brigade, ambulances etc just Mr Khan’s mates at the black cab association.

It’s an utter disgrace.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    EU6 diesel cars may look good on paper but the reality is they aren't, VW have taken all the flack for cheating but they're not the only ones doing it and they're also far from the worst with most cars failing to meet EU6 limits in reality and some massively failing to do so:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/may/26/extremely-polluting-nissan-and-renault-diesel-cars-still-on-sale-data-reveals

An EU4 taxi may look a lot worse on paper but the reality is it isn't at least until they sort out testing and actually enforce the limits for newer cars.

In addition to that they have a strategy in place to reduce and eliminate the diesel taxis while there's going to be plenty of dirty private EU6 diesel cars that are allowed to use the ULEZ belching out their dirty fumes and won't be removed soon, I'd be a lot more worried about those. Curiously no-one seems to though.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    And a very similar piece that has resurfaced on the BBC website in the last few days - for anyone who has a diesel Qashqai it should make sobering reading!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/how_toxic_is_your_car_exhaust
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If Khan was really serious about air pollution and in particular, diesel pollution, then he should get rid of or tax the new London Cruise Ship Terminal, which will be responsible for more air pollution than the whole of the UK, depending on the size and number of ships at any one time.
    The World's 15 largest ships emit more polluting gases than ALL the cars in the World.

https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2017/03/11/green-finance-for-dirty-ships
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    “next FEW YEARS

..... and here’s a headline from a recent study “London black cabs up to 30 times more ‘toxic’ than cars

Its actually “polluting the streets with nitrogen oxide emissions up to 30 times the level or personal petrol cars the same age”.

so
    1. its an apples & oranges comparison of diesel cabs vs petrol cars not diesel vs diesel
    2. No indication of if thats up to 30x polluting per day/mile/hour. Which one it is makes a significant difference
  • scones
    scones Posts: 58 Forumite
    No other vehicles have been given exemptions.

Not true, the following are exempt:

• Residents of Central London - until October 2021
    • Registered disabled passenger vehicles - until October 2025
    • Private hire vehicles that are wheelchair accessible - until October 2025
    • Military vehicles
    • Vehicles over 40 years old
    • Agricultural vehicles, diggers, JCBs etc.

The main reason I don't see the exemption as an outrage is because it would be largely pointless for taxis. Experience of the Congestion Charge shows that private car drivers and business vehicles will avoid Central London or switch to public transport where they are able to do so in order to avoid paying the extra cost. That doesn't apply to taxi drivers as they have to enter Cental London to work. You could rake in extra cash by charging them, but none of them are likely to give up their livelihood or scrap their vehicle because of a £12.50 daily charge.

Don't get me wrong - I never use taxis, have never driven a taxi and tend to think there are more efficient ways we could use roadspace and fuel to transport people. But they are a useful part of the transport network (especially for disabled people who stuggle to access the Tube) and I believe the existing plans for getting the more polluting taxis off the road will be far more effective than arbitrary charging would be.
  • agrinnall
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm appalled that you'd waste our time by bringing your obvious political slant to an important issue that needs to be considered rationally.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I'm appalled that you'd waste our time by bringing your obvious political slant to an important issue that needs to be considered rationally.

In order to judge the validity of your opinion could you answer...

A) roughly where in Zone 1 do you live

B) roughly where do your children attend school in zone 1

C) do you have any links to black cabs.

I’ll start....

Kensington & Chelsea, Sloane Square and NO!

BTW.... bloody Apple autocorrect.
  • agrinnall
    First Post Combo Breaker
    In order to judge the validity of your opinion could you answer...

A) roughly where in Zone 1 do you live

B) roughly where do your children attend school in zone 1

C) do you have any links to black cabs.

I’ll start....

Kensington & Chelsea, Sloane Square and NO!

BTW.... bloody Apple autocorrect.

The answers are Nowhere, No children, No, but your view that only people who can answer the same as you doesn't mean my opinion is any less valid than yours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure