We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

What is cheapest and most efficient way to heat a tropical greenhouse

Options
Can anyone suggest the most cost efficient way of heating a tropical greenhouse?

I have to maintain a temprature of 72 farenhite in a 4m2(6'X6') greenhouse.

I am looking at a low wattage (400-500 watt) fan heater with a seperate thermostat. Fan heaters heat the air which is not good for humidity.

Infra red or halogen may be a possibillity. Does any one know what it costs to run at 400 watts 24/7 with a thermostat?

Parafin heaters can soot the crop out. Can not be controlled by electronic thermostat.

Calor gas can not be controlled by electronic thermostat. Plus I don't like the idea of leaving a naked flame unatended while I am out. I don't want to burn my flat down.

I know there are people out there like me growing exotic fruit. Can anyone give me advice?

Comments

• alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Move it to Jamaica :D

I grow a lot of tropical plants and overwinter them in the greenhouse but at circa 5°c so they remain healthy but dormant.

Obviously the cost will depend where you live but 72°f = 22°c is a lot of heat to provide in winter if you are in the uk and require this to be a constant temperature.

The first thing to do would be to insulate the greenhouse as much as possible and minimise the space you need to heat. I would consider using
    knauf space blanket loft insulation for this purpose as it is silver coated and will reflect heat and light back into the greenhouse. Its currently £3.59 a roll from b&q so reasonably cost effective.

Dont forget the floor and roof when you think about insulation, the more you can cocoon the area to be heated the lower the running cost will be.

As regards heating i would not consider paraffin for anything but as an emergency backup. It creates high humidity which can cause rot at lower temperatures and is difficult to control.

I would go for an electric fan heater with a digital thermostat. this will provide accurate temperature control, dry heat (to avoid rot) and air circulation to help avoid disease.

If you do fully insulate you will also need lighting. In that case i would think about using T5 flourescents which are cost effective and work well. I use these in my prop with seeds and cuttings.
  • shellysue
    shellysue Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    What is your greenhouse made of? ie glass or polycarb, is it insulated?
    The cost is going to be hard to work out because it depends on how long the heater is on for.
    Your electric bill will tell you how much you pay per kilowatt hour, so 500W is half a K, I pay 10p daytime and 4.8 night time, so 17x10p plus 7x4.8 = £2.03[6] for 1K per 24 hours.
    If your 500W heater was on all the time it would cost just over a pound a day to run.
    Hope you can understand that:o
    Sue
    Do I need to eat it :o
    Can I afford the calories:eek:
    have I checked for a lower calorie version:T
  • Hrh_Fish
    Options
    I have spoke to a reputable garden center. Fan heaters are not good if you need a humid environment. I need 50% humidity so they recommend using Halogen/ Infra red. It heats the same way as the sun and is best for humidity. Also is quite cheap to run on 400 watt setting.

The green house is in a spare room. It is made with 3x2 and covered with black white mylar sheet. I am in a flat with no garden. I don't have to worry to much about insulation.

Thanks guys. If any one has any helpful hints for me don't be shy!

I would not go to Jamaica... I am retiring soon to Fiji!!:D
  • alanobrien
    Options
    Ahhhh, if its inside thats a whole different game, heating cost will be much lower.

I use a dehumidifier in my greenhouse outside, you should find humidity much easier to control inside but 50% is low so you may find you have to indroduce a mister into the set up.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    [QUOTE=Hrh Fish;39993456 I need 50% humidity so they recommend using Halogen/ Infra red. It heats the same way as the sun and is best for humidity. Also is quite cheap to run on 400 watt setting.

The green house is in a spare room. It is made with 3x2 and covered with black white mylar sheet. I am in a flat with no garden. I don't have to worry to much about insulation.

[/QUOTE]

Err it is not waccy baccy is it? In which case tap into next doors meter and use that :rotfl:
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • alanobrien
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Err it is not waccy baccy is it? In which case tap into next doors meter and use that :rotfl:

The first rule of the GF MS board is that we don't reveal what we grow.

The second rule of the GF MS board is.....see the first......

:p
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just wonder why as you drive down the road all the houses are covered in snow except the odd one here & there.

Strange that.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just wonder why as you drive down the road all the houses are covered in snow except the odd one here & there.

Strange that.

Could be over-active imagination, or no decent loft insulation. :)
  • squack
    squack Posts: 633 Forumite
    Options
    for these "tropical plants", waccy baccy or not, the best thing would be a 400 or 600 watt sodium lamp, they produce some heat as a by product,to give you the warm temperature, the plants will be craving light as well as you aren't going to get much natural light through the window this time of year
    squaaaaaaaaacccckkkkkk!!!! :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport