PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Some are and some aren't and I wouldn't presume to 'lump then together' as I'm sure there are many reasons why some fail and others thrive. I know an awful lot of young folks who have made much of their lives and become Doctors, Vets, Teachers, Architects and sadly I know quite a few who for one reason or another dropped out of education and ended up working as bar staff, waitresses etc. when they had the potential to go on and gain a degree. So NO I don't lump together the youth of this land I just feel very sad for those who drop through the net.

My posts seem to be upsetting you? why not put me on ignore and have a happier time on this thread?
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Well this thread certainly reflects real life re Brexit doesn't it? It's a long time since I've seen so much bickering and nitpicking in OS :(
  • betterlife
    betterlife Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I first started following this thread, I wasn't hugely concerned about brexit, like some of you, I`m very much like we will make the most of what we have and the best of the situation at hand. We will prepare for food shortages, price hikes, power cuts etc as best as we can, as what else can we do anyway.
    Its been great reading the advice of others of how we can prepare.
    But lately I`ve found this thread more concerning than helpful, there is so much bickering going on in this group which normally rally's together when times are hard, it`s beginning to worry me how we will be if our worse fears for brexit become a reality!
    Is it really worth our precious prepping time arguing about things which are out of our hands?
    One day I will live in a cabin in the woods
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Well this thread certainly reflects real life re Brexit doesn't it? It's a long time since I've seen so much bickering and nitpicking in OS :(
    Yes, and some of us know what happens after that starts don't we :(

It's a pity the thread appears to have taken a political & snipey turn, rather than what it suggests by its title...a useful informative place.

I'm bowing out & unsubscribing.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 24 July 2018 at 7:50AM
    Options
    It's because folk are apprehensive on just what WILL happen and we're getting no guidance or answers from the PTB who are just as fratchety amongst themselves.

It's not a subject that can be walked away from though or we'll all be like that poor old ostrich burying his head in the sand to avoid things he doesn't like. Brexit, by the looks of things will happen and we'll all have to deal with life afterwards so it's kind of important to try and formulate some sort of plan whereby we can cope with the life we get. The politics of the thing won't in any way change the reality of the changes that will inevitably happen and the purpose of this thread isn't to wrangle and argue with each other but to try to make preparations for the aftermath and share ideas and practicalities to make that a little easier if we can.

On a practical note I'm going to make a list of things that are flagged up as possible crop losses in the media, today the suggestion was carrots and apples may be short on the ground due to drought conditions and when we're moved, I can't do it before, I shall start to lay in some tins of both before prices are raised because of lack of them. I will leave the tins in store and run on fresh as long as the are available at a price I can afford and then use my tins when they become too high to afford.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Floss I've thought about joining you, I don't have time or energy to waste on arguing round in circles going nowhere.
    Betterlife some people seem to be focused on trying to prove us all wrong and make us look silly - but all we're doing is offering suggestions, it's not mandatory lol is it? And these are the people who would fall apart quickly if things ever did go to custard.
    Adapt and survive! Keep arguing forever and see how that one ends :rotfl:
  • humptydumptybits
    humptydumptybits Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    edited 24 July 2018 at 8:09AM
    Options
    Some are and some aren't and I wouldn't presume to 'lump then together' as I'm sure there are many reasons why some fail and others thrive. I know an awful lot of young folks who have made much of their lives and become Doctors, Vets, Teachers, Architects and sadly I know quite a few who for one reason or another dropped out of education and ended up working as bar staff, waitresses etc. when they had the potential to go on and gain a degree. So NO I don't lump together the youth of this land I just feel very sad for those who drop through the net.

My posts seem to be upsetting you? why not put me on ignore and have a happier time on this thread?

I wasn't referring to you in regard to lumping them all together as you were pointing out it isn't all of their generation but lots of people do that on here and in general. I'm aware of people of various ages wasting their opportunities, some of them are in their 60s or older.

I've got no idea why you think you are upsetting me. It is another thing that seems to happen on here, if you don't agree with everything someone says you are either upset, angry or picking on them. Discussion surely needs people with different points of view or it would be a whole thread of people saying, "Oh yes I agree 100%" which would be rather monotonous.
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    It's because folk are apprehensive on just what WILL happen and we're getting no guidance or answers from the PTB who are just as fratchety amongst themselves.

It's not a subject that can be walked away from though or we'll all be like that poor old ostrich burying his head in the sand to avoid things he doesn't like. Brexit, by the looks of things will happen and we'll all have to deal with life afterwards so it's kind of important to try and formulate some sort of plan whereby we can cope with the life we get. The politics of the thing won't in any way change the reality of the changes that will inevitably happen and the purpose of this thread isn't to wrangle and argue with each other but to try to make preparations for the aftermath and share ideas and practicalities to make that a little easier if we can.

On a practical note I'm going to make a list of things that are flagged up as possible crop losses in the media, today the suggestion was carrots and apples may be short on the ground due to drought conditions and when we're moved, I can't do it before, I shall start to lay in some tins of both before prices are raised because of lack of them. I will leave the tins in store and run on fresh as long as the are available at a price I can afford and then use my tins when they become too high to afford.

Agree with all this and am thinking of doing the same. I have a plague of locusts arriving this week (grandchildren arriving for the summer and I will have a houseful until September) so will start buying some extras every week to build up a stockpile.
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So s lost of what we should be stockpiling....

Pasta
    Rice
    Tinned fruit
    Tuna
    Jams
    Candles
    Torches
    Matches

What else?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'd put some tins of meat and fish and also veg as it sounds like we may lose some of the crops this year. Tea bags/leaves too for me, I can't manage without my cuppa! I always run with a decent amount of herbs, spices, flavourings, sauces which make even a veg stew tastier and tins of beans and dry lentils will be in my store to stretch meat and make a little go further as will some TVP mince for the same reason. Stock cubes help too and can make a single veg soup more palatable. Porridge oats are your friend and I sometimes have them for supper if it's cold, they keep me warm and full for quite a while, hope that's some use.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback