Ordering/renaming JPG files

Options
Si_Clist
Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
I have a folder of JPEG files which I want to re-order and rename. I used to be able to do this in PhotoMechanic by just dragging and dropping them where I wanted them, then saving the new order, then renaming, but alas I no longer have PhotoMechanic.

Can I achieve the save end with any free software, and if so, what? I'm running Windows 10 with just Photoshop Elements and IrfanView at present.
A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What do you mean by reorder and rename?

Put them somewhere else and/or new filename or new extension name?
  • Si_Clist
    Options
    When I open the folder, the pictures appear as thumbnails, in order of filename. All I want to do is rearrange them so that they appear in my chosen order instead, then stay in that order.

In the software I used to use, this was a simple matter of dragging and dropping the pictures into the order I wanted, highlighting the lot, and then renaming them from 000.jpg upwards. Henceforth, every time I opened the folder, the files would appear in my chosen order.

All I want to find is a way of doing that without having to buy software :)
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • Moneybagsss
    Options
    Faststone Image Viewer will do this, drag the pictures round in the Browser View then highlight, right click and rename in the Batch Renamer.
    Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day.
    But give a man a fishing rod, and he'll sell it and buy alcohol.
  • Si_Clist
    edited 5 August 2018 at 6:35PM
    Options
    Thank you, Moneybagsss :) Off now to download and try it ...

ETA - looks good! Drag and drop works as expected but batch rename currently has me beat. Didn't see it listed in the index of the "How To" PDF, but it can't be that difficult, so I guess I'll work it out later this evening.
  • dogmaryxx
    dogmaryxx Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    XnView MP is as good as PhotoMechanic. and it's free for private use.
  • Si_Clist
    edited 5 August 2018 at 7:40PM
    Options
    Thanks, dogmaryxx. I'll give that a whirl right now!

ETA - Awesome! Now that I like :)

So, problem solved. Thanks for your help, folks!
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    Try irfanview if the others do not work
  • Si_Clist
    Options
    Thanks for that, that. I hadn't realised that Irfanview would actuallydo what I want ...
  • Jamie_SBeasley
    Options
    Faststone Image Viewer will do this, drag the pictures round in the Browser View then highlight, right click and rename in the Batch Renamer.
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gave up trying to rename photos at least 10 years ago as it was too time consuming.

i just have a folder called 'memories' split into 'videos' & 'photos'. each folder is then split into years.

i use google photos search feature to find any photos/albums that i need.
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure