Options

Comments

• My2penneth
    My2penneth Posts: 807 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 4 January 2023 at 4:46PM
    Options
    Hattie625
    Under MiFid II, they should be producing Quarterly reports.

iWeb produce them but you have to go looking for them in their menu on their website ( the SVS issue made me check my iWeb account...I found a 25 page document for each account issued Quarterly...must admit...never checked before). It's useful for tax returns in non ISA accounts but it's only a snapshot of ones holdings at any given point in time....you could have sold all your shares the very next day!

Of course, we can't check SVS reports on our holdings ( I know you can request transaction statements with SVS..maybe this is good enough / compliant?)
  • Gixer1
    Options
    So glad that the £85K relates to losses.
    I have been dealing with SVS for over 10 years - always found them to be very professional.
    I have over £120K in an ISA spread over a number of stocks and my wife has the same.
    We also have £160K in a joint account so we are both exposed to £200K.
    I have contacted FCA and the only thing they have told me is that they are in discussions with SVS and that I can register a complaint if I feel that I am not being provided with sufficient information by SVS. I have called several numbers (main number, brokers direct lines, back office, settlements) at SVS but can only get an answerphone message on the main number - "We are in discussions with the FCA in relation to our client services. Until these discussions are concluded we will not be undertaking any regulated activities including client dealing services other than in relation to safeguarding of clients assets. We appreciate your patience during this time and we will be updating our clients as soon as there are any further developments. Thank you."
    Doesn't sound good - I guess funds will be locked up for several months before being moved to a new platform provider.
  • shez.85
    shez.85 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Out of curiosity what happens to the investments you had when they SVS went offline / out of business?

Do you get the market worth at what the investments were at that point, will you be given the market value as at the point when the issue is rectified i.e. business sold to another broker or cash refunded or will the shares be transferred to you via another broker and you get the market value at the time?

Thanks for the help.
  • ASN
    ASN Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hello,

I am a small investor and that is the first time it happened that my broker has gone bust. So what about my shares in different companies I bought through SVS Securities ? I called FCS this morning they acknowledge that they are under talks with the company. FCSC were lat to help and said they will not be liable to compensate for any loss.

Not sure what to do ? Please help.

Regards.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    shez.85 wrote: »
    Do you get the market worth at what the investments were at that point, will you be given the market value as at the point when the issue is rectified i.e. business sold to another broker or cash refunded or will the shares be transferred to you via another broker and you get the market value at the time?
    ASN wrote: »
    So what about my shares in different companies I bought through SVS Securities ?

Your shares will be ring-fenced so even if the company goes bust your shares are safe. You won't be able to trade in them until it all gets sorted out but they will carry on rising or falling in value. The most likely outcome is another broker will purchase all the clients from the administrator and you will then be able to trade through them.
  • shez.85
    shez.85 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you so much for the response!

Trying to find any clarity on this matter was extremely hard, puts my mind at ease a bit :)
  • Jamesram
    Jamesram Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Shez.85. Any shares/ fundholdings (did they deal in funds?) are held in the separate SVS Nominee ac, ie the shareholder has "nominated" SVS to keep his/her stock in that ac on his/her behalf. All this is electronic of course, and say you had BP shares, you would not be able to point to "your stock"- all BP shares managed by SVS are pooled together with other client BP shares. But neverthless, you are still the owner of those BP shares. So given that SVS are no longer, for whatever reason, able to trade and manage them for you, they will have to transfer to an organisation that can, ie a new broker such as The Share Centre. This will be done under the auspices of the FCA. Individual shareholders will not be able ask for their shares back, or for them to be sold off, until the transfer process is complete, for the main reason (I assume) is that there is no one to act on their behalf until the whole operational transfer is complete on Xdate. On Xdate you should then be able to instrcuct the new broker to sell., buy or whatever as normal. Unfortunately, this took months in the case of Beaufort Securities last year, but that broker was under FCA investigation. SVS may be simpler, or they may have a better solution, but I would guess we will be in limbo for weeks awaiting Xdate, if not months.
  • manorhouse
    manorhouse Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am with them , there is chat on ii that my shares are at risk and only covered for 85k .
    Other small brokers use Jarvis to hold away my understanding is svs do not use a third party .
    Phones not being answered can not log in .
    Worried greatfull for any info .
  • manted
    manted Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 10 August 2019 at 11:46AM
    Options
    As a new user not allowed to post links.(so havent posted a link to cityam article)
    you can Google Carbon credits svs deutsche to have a read.
    I keep kicking myself for not checking news related to SVS more often.

I have just over £xxxk in an ISA with them. Glad to read all the discussions about the issue as MSE seems to be the only place where there's any info at all.
    I have a sharesoc free membership & so have contacted them. They did and are still pursuing Beaufort, so am hopeful we can also start a campaign for SVS.
    I am also being hopeful that we don't even have to go to that extent and the matter resolves quicker than Beaufort and some other broker gets our accounts.
  • My2penneth
    My2penneth Posts: 807 Forumite
    Options
    Shez, ASN
    Our shareholdings and cash are in limbo at the moment. Until we gain access again, the value of your portfolio is subject to normal market forces. We might wish to sell fearing a crash in one or more holdings..but we can't. There would be no compo for such losses if one or two shares were worth less (or even worthless) when we do regain control.

ASN...your shares and cash will be held in a ring fenced accounts. You still have x quantity of shares in company x and y in company y.

If SVS actually do go into administration then an administrator would be appointed. The administrator wants paying for handling this work. Who pays for this work...initially SVS ...but if they do not have sufficient funds in their bank account, then the administrator might legally try to access our accounts and sell shares to pay for their services ( see Beaufort Securities) . Our holdings would be sold in part and so we would incur losses. The FSCS would cover for such losses....to the 85k limit per account ( or 170k in a joint account). Whilst legal....and PricewaterhouseCoopers tried to go down this route with Beaufort Securities ...the Financial Conduct Authority "had words" with PwC and then the FSCS stepped in to cover the costs in a deal with PwC. PwC were extremely greedy.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback