Permitted and work moving from ESA to UC?

Options
I am trying (struggling) to find some permitted work and have just been looking at the permitted work rules for Universal Credit which my area will be switching to at the end of 2018. I've been reading that there will be no permitted work under Universal credit but I may have to do some work and may only be allowed to keep up to £20 of what I earn?

I this right???:(

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 June 2018 at 7:13PM
    Options
    I am trying (struggling) to find some permitted work and have just been looking at the permitted work rules for Universal Credit which my area will be switching to at the end of 2018. I've been reading that there will be no permitted work under Universal credit but I may have to do some work and may only be allowed to keep up to £20 of what I earn?

I this right???:(
    Even though your area is switching at the end of 2018, it won't affect you or others on legacy benefits until at least 2019 maybe even later than that. The only way it will affect you, is if a change of circumstances prompts you to have to move across. When they do start to move people across it's called managed migration and that's not happening for anyone yet.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As already advised managed migration of existing benefits to UC does not start until 2019.

In regard to permitted work, that is not really relevant under UC. If you are within WRAG or Support group, you will have a Work Allowance of £198 or £400 ish (cannot remember exact amount) per month with the latter being when you have no housing costs. UC will then deduct 63pence for each £1 each earned above the Work Allowance.

I don't know how ESA payments would compare to UC overall. If you don't need to move to UC due to a change in circumstances, then you will wait until DWP contact you to migrate you to UC. If DWP manage the migration there is a 2 year guarantee that you won't be worse off.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have in the back of my mind that if If you are earning less than the equivalent of 16 hours paid at NMW and getting PIP, you can get UC disability elements added to your claim if you undergo a WCA and it is decided that the LCW or LCWRA group applies.

Perhaps huckster has more details, as I'm a bit vague on how this operates. I think this is additional to the work allowances - but may be wrong.

I think it may be designed to replace the Disability worker element that exists in WTC, but as usual with UC is less generous than Tax Credits.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure