Early-retirement wannabe

Options

Comments

• OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Glad to hear you are through your health challenges. I've seen similar. My dad took early retirement from the Civil Service at 58 with a generous pension. He and my mum were looking forward to an enjoyable retirement, he was very fit and healthy. But sadly he was dead from leukaemia aged 61. Another reason why I decided to go early rather than hang on for 4 more years. These years are precious.

Having said that, staying fit and healthy is key to reducing risk of some cancers and maybe dementia.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 March 2018 at 3:19PM
    Options
    Wise words indeed Broadsword, I have a friend who is undergoing a second surgery this week for the same type of tumour, grade 4, in her early 40s. Has certainly made me appreciate life and want to be rid of the working part of it sooner rather than later.

Sad that it takes the likes of what has happened to Tessa Jowell to raise such awareness of the terribly underfunded research into the biggest cancer killers of the under 40s.

My best wishes to you.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations OMG, sorry to hear your health problems Broadsword and your friends Slinky. My own retirement plans are also driven by my own health experiences- heart attack last year at 53yrs old. Also I had a work colleague retire August last year aged 55, unexpectedly died last month!

But on a brighter note I have a couple of colleagues who are still regularly seeing their parents who are retired and healthy and are in their late 80s and early 90s, not dementing and enjoying travel and holidays still!

So all is not glum, I think the secret is stay active- in a careful way as we age do everything in balance, have fun and take every chance to enjoy life!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • OldMusicGuy
    Options
    Well, just over one week in to retirement, and I can tell you I won't be going back to work. Work is completely forgotten about and I can already see that I don't have enough time to do all the things I planned to do in retirement. I have too many hobbies and projects to fit in to the time available now I am retired. Should have gone 5 years earlier!!

I'm also enjoying spending more relaxed quality time with my wife. It's nice to be able to mooch around like when we were younger with fewer responsibilities.......
  • blisteringblue
    blisteringblue Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So much for being the good little worker bee and giving 5 years notice of early retirement. Pretty much being demoted, losing my team and "parked". Chancing my arm at redundancy, not hopeful but you can but try ;) If I can force it through its a couple of years too early but may see if there is some part-time contracting I can pick up (IT Manager).

Well 6 weeks on and I am no longer "parked" ;) Company need my skills, so played hardball and I have kept my current position, gained an extra person and even got rid of the bad part of my job. They still want to "ease" me into retirement and not carry on with 13 hour days, which I am already seeing in the "new" old role. Worked from home all this week so happy days. I fully expect that when they get the info out of my head they seem desperate to retain I may be offered an exit, but cross that bridge when it comes. T minus 1707 days and counting :rotfl:
  • stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Options
    Pleased to read that OMG is enjoying retirement :)
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • OldMusicGuy
    Options
    stoozie1 wrote: »
    Pleased to read that OMG is enjoying retirement :)
    Thanks, and I still am! One month in and I don't know where the time is going..... Far too much to do, it really is a great relief to have got rid of the stress of work. Will keep you updated on how the spending is going later in the year.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My "I can't believe it's not retirement" is also going well.

I'm now averaging two days' a week of work, one in the office and one at home, and New Venture went live yesterday so we're officially allowed to start taking on customers (heavily regulated industry, in a big way!)

I still haven't agreed terms of departure with old employer (nearly there, verbal agreement, now for legal agreement) but they are still paying me, so what's the rush? :D
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,452 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 30 March 2018 at 4:22PM
    Options
    I'd note down those verbal agreements they could be worth.........................................nothing.
  • twiglet98
    twiglet98 Posts: 883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Those who believe they can afford to retire early, make the most of it.

Of the last ten funerals I have attended, five were in their 50s (all men), three in their 60s (two men) and two in their 90s (both women). Four of the men were ill for 5+ years, the others had short aggressive illness or stroke. None of the younger men had retired.

Enjoy it while you're able to. Best wishes to all dealing with serious health issues at what should be the prime of your life.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback