Is Resolver legit?

Options
So I decided to use your advertised (endorsed?) Resolver PPI claim service a couple of weeks ago and eventually cancelled the process after filling in the majority of the form after realising I simply didn’t know enough information to go ahead. I expected to hear from the company afterwards, and sure enough I received an email explaining I could continue with the process should I wish, etc., etc. However, what I didn’t expect to receive was a letter through the post a few days later from a seemingly totally unrelated company urging me to make a PPI claim, followed by numerous (approx 8, 2 today alone) telephone calls to my landline from different numbers, none of which left a message.
I have only been living at this address 4 years and have never given my landline number out. I had also never received unsolicited calls or mail regarding PPI prior to using the Resolver service.

What’s going on please? This cannot be just coincidence.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Resolver does harvest your data but it is sold on an aggregated basis only.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nanny2Nurse
    Nanny2Nurse Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    Well its pretty obvious to me that my data has without doubt been sold on and Im not happy about that at all. I didnt even complete the process.
    I only used Resolver because it was advertised on this site and (wrongly) assumed it could be trusted as a result. Ive now had my trust in MoneySavingExoert completely shaved .
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Remember that this is commercial site now.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • the_quick
    the_quick Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    From 25th May, they will not be able to sell you details without explicit permission from you to do exactly that.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well its pretty obvious to me that my data has without doubt been sold on and Im not happy about that at all. I didnt even complete the process.
    I'm no fan of Resolver (or any third party involvement in free PPI complaints), but I can't help suspecting that this is a coincidence.
    Resolver sells aggregated data harvested anonymously and makes no secret of this.

What would be the point of providing a free E-Mail complaint template service if the customer's details were then provided to a Claim Management Company?

So I'm not convinced.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    I agree. This is not Resolver causing "individual" marketing. The data is not sold in a way that it can identify you personally.

Did you fill in anything on a website about making a complaint or use a different method?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure