Solar Power

Options
Wizo
Wizo Posts: 11 Forumite
I have just recieved a flyer on the installation of a Solar panel for hot water.

Has anyone looked into this? Apart from the green benefits is this a worth while investment?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My husband was very interested in this subject when we went to Cornwall this year. He sent off for an information pack, and heard nothing since.

I would dearly like to know how to go about it.
  • Wizo
    Wizo Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Take a look at web site: http://www.ecobuilding.org.uk/Solar.htm and http://www.solartwin.com/ for info. Although the solar twin web sites cost / payback page is so complicated I lost the will to finish the page.

I also understand you may be able to get a grant of £400 towards installation. If you are into DIY solar twin has a DIY kit for £1900.

Be interested if anyone knows anywhere cheaper!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for that Wizo, welcome to the boards by the way!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you're into DIY it's not that difficult to make you own solar hot water system. Payback time obviously depends on how much you have to buy rather than salvage, but less obviously it also depends how many there are occupying the house. You can get about 50% of the hot water reqiurements for a family of 4, but if there are only two of you the same system won't give you 100% of your needs, it's still only 50%. I seriously considered making one some time ago, but decided against it because I'm the sole occupant of the house, among other reasons.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure