Neighbour removed there old fence and then painted

Options
Fence at bottom of garden was falling to bits belongs to house that runs along bottom of garden I had a new fence put in a foot inside my own boundary so as to not touch their fence.
Today I saw they have now removed there old fence and not replaced it and painted mine by coming into my garden to do so .
I am not happy at all I am not sure how to approach neighbour as I do not know them as have just recently moved in.

Comments

• worried123
    worried123 Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh wow....it amazes me how rude people can be....I would be so upset and so angry by this....

I am no the best to advise as i posted the other thread about the bordering fence falling down and i dont even want to knock to ask neighbour i have never spoken to whether its her responsibility...

however, i think what your neighbours have done is digusting....the fence belongs to you...it isnt even a bordering one as such - its in `your` garden solely adn hey have no right to even paint a bordering fence that isnt theirs..they avhe also tresspassed.....

good luck with this and i hope that someobdy who is a bit more courageous than me can give you good advice about approaching them. what about a note through their door....whatever you do decide, i believe they are totally in the wrong and out of order....how disgraceful!

good luck.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Today I saw they have now removed there old fence and not replaced it and painted mine by coming into my garden to do so .
    Which side of your fence have they painted? If it's the side which faces into their garden, I think I wouldn't be saying anything at all. The paint will help preserve your fence and it saves you having to do it.

If, on the other hand, they have painted your side of the fence that's very different...bloody cheek!
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Go round and point out that they must have known it was your fence since they removed their own to get to it.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Point out that you are very unhappy that they have painted your fence.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]But at the end of the day what do you want to achieve? I think the best you can hope for is an apology unless the fence is pink.[/FONT]
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 2 March 2018 at 11:59AM
    Options
    Did you take photographs when you installed the new fence?

I expect the next thing they'll do is claim your fence is on the boundary. Fail to address this and you'll regret it later.

I agree with the post above. What's done is done, and it would be useless passive-aggressive behaviour to put a note through their door. People like that need to be met face to face.

Depending on what I made of the individual from that experience - and the length of the fence - I'd take it from there. One of my neighbours seemed to think he could come onto our land when ever he chose, so he got barbed wire and sheep fence, but we are rural!
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Leaving the painting of the fence to one side, what I'd be concerned about was your comment about your fence being 1 foot inside your boundary and the old fence now having gone.

Your boundary has now moved, it's become your fence 1 foot inside your boundary, and over time that fence will become the boundary and you'll loose that foot of ground.

If the true boundary was the old fence line, I'd be thinking of re-instating it in some way, to make it clear that the neighbours don't own that 1 foot strip.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Did you take photographs when you installed the new fence?

I expect he next thing they'll do is claim your fence is on the boundary.

I agree with the post above. What's done is done, and it would be useless passive-aggressive behaviour to put a note through their door. People like that need to be met head-on.

Depending on what I made of the individual from that experience - and the length of the fence - I'd take it from there. One of my neighbours seemed to think he could come onto our land when ever he chose, so he got barbed wire, but we are rural!

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Yes I agree with that, definitely don't put a note through their door. That is just storing up trouble for later.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Meet them head on, welcome them to the neighbourhood and say you are sorry that the first time you meet its with a complaint and you hope you will both be good neighbours in the future but they have painted your fence.[/FONT]
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure how I'd feel about the painting - I suppose it depends on the fence. Ours is treated timber that is going a nice silvery colour as it ages, so if they painted that I might not be too pleased, especially if any of it showed through to my side. If, on the other hand, it was a fence likely to need painting and I couldn't see it from my side I'd probably not be too bothered as they'd have saved me a job.

The potential change of boundary issue would concern me though. I'd put up some stakes and wire asap to maintain the correct boundary.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    rach_k wrote: »
    The potential change of boundary issue would concern me though. I'd put up some stakes and wire asap to maintain the correct boundary.
    Yes I agree this needs to be done. The OP might even want to consider re-siting the fence to re-claim the foot of ground sacrificed when hiding the neighbour's old fence.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Yes I agree this needs to be done. The OP might even want to consider re-siting the fence to re-claim the foot of ground sacrificed when hiding the neighbour's old fence.

Or just put a few cheap round posts in with some rope, just to make the point.
  • PC1985
    PC1985 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Think its already been mentioned but you could move your fence back to the boundary. Last thing you want is not to do anything and they assume you are happy with the boundary lines

(plus you don't want them to start planting in their extra space as it would cause more problems later on and make it harder to undo)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure