NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived

Options

Comments

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Enjoy your new journey Kerry Woman. It is an exciting thing to do, and one that you can do at your own pace and savour each moment.

Have you kept a tally of what you have decluttered? When I am low, I find it helps my morale to have 'easy' targets or increasing numbers that show me that I am getting things done in spite of what I am feeling.

Take care and I hope the all goes well with your GP tomorrowx
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Really finding it hard to motivate myself to do things and get into a routine this month. Hopefully it will improve. I do try and do something each day, but not a lot.
    It's a difficult time for you, Kerry Woman, but you're doing well. Wise words from Moternerd, as always.
    Had a little bit of a walk today and spent a little on some food for the boy for when we are away. The butcher didn't have what I wanted last time. C & I are still eating from stores. This is a major achievement and I can't believe how little we've spent. About £12.00 since the beginning of the month and most of that was on cleaning things.
    I haven't done a lot of extra cleaning today but the house is looking really tidy. If only I could get the other two to put things away as they finish with them and stop leaving things lying everywhere. That may just be asking too much.
    We have spent the afternoon researching Berlin, Prague and Budapest and have lots of places, restaurants etc that we plan to visit. Just over a week until we fly to Amsterdam. I am getting so excited - another ambition ticked off.
    So dinner (fish, lyonaise potatoes and roasted pesto tomatoes) and then I'm off to bed early with some nice tea and the book. Will have it finished by the weekend.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 January 2018 at 6:05PM
    Options
    apple muncher - I have not kept a note of what I have decluttered. Only have kept a record of creams etc that I have used up. Still have quite a bit to use. Have been trying to sort things out in the flat for a few years, but just doing a little bit of decluttering when I feel up to it at the moment. I will enjoy my new journey thank you.
    Toni'sfriend - Thank you.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    greent - it is my son's 12th birthday tomorrow too.

No money spent today, have stayed at home all day cleaning and making hm mushroom soup for tea, been for a run with DH and will have a bath later.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    @Kerry Woman, sorry to hear about your circumstances and the loss of your mum. Whilst I haven't been through the same, I have suffered with anxiety and depression for a lot of my adult life. I recently found that keeping a note on my phone each week of all the positive things that happened - large or small - really helped me. I didn't show it to anyone else and deleted it at the start of the next week, but it was good to actually see all those positives written down in black and white.

I've only had one spend day so far this month, had to get some medication for an eye infection and so decided to buy a second hand book while I was at it to save spending money on another day.

Been keeping up with the running every day with the exception of yesterday, Wednesday is my day off exercise hehe. Went to donate blood today but they wouldn't let me because of the eye infection, just in case :(

Have organised the collection of an old sofa by a local charity. It 'lives' in our basement so hopefully they'll be able to take it on Wednesday next week. I need to tidy the basement but the sofa is sort of getting in the way so I haven't done it yet.

I've also recovered from my panic over the roof repairs. Discussed it with OH last night and we've got the funds to pay for about half of the repairs, maybe more by the time they actually need the money. So it's not as doom and gloom as I'd thought. Plus the debt will be shared so it's not all on my head. I do have a tendency to panic and go straight to worst case scenario thinking.

I've also found a job I want to apply for, it would be a promotion so I don't know if I'd get it, but it never hurts to try!
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £1,796 as of 04/24
  • Kerry_Woman
    Options
    lcc86 - Thank you. Was thinking about writing positive things down in a notebook, but have not started it as yet. Sending you hugs.
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you for the birthday wishes :D I was supposed to be going to the cinema with my bestie, but she was sick, bf was home sick from work (I kicked him upstairs to bed) so ended up with a very quiet day, although I did enjoy the solitude and watched a couple of films at home.

Today I took down the xmas decorations and re-touched the paint in the pups bedroom where he had been scrabbling at the wall to try and reach something off the shelve and scrapped the paint off.
    I have been meaning to do this for a couple of months now. Funny how the jobs we put off for ages end up taking all of 5 minutes.

How does playing sport (or going for a walk) make you feel? What do you enjoy about it?
    I HATED PE at school, did everything I could to get out of it. Then I gained a lot of weight, wanted to lose it and found a love for running. I go boxing once a week too, which is good for getting the frustrations out :D
    Janus - 12 Months target to repay Mum. £226.39 / £3000
    As it's BF's turn for groceries this month, I've popped my £50 weekly grocery budget into mums fund. I've also added my extra £9.01 in wages from xmas week.

Activity. Crochet & keep active.
    I've been for a run today, took the pup with me. He loves running, he's got a lead that wraps round my waist so I don't have to hold him, it's got a bungee in the middle so no sudden jerks when he bolts ahead.
    Finished one blanket, started the next one :)

Non-negotiables:
    -[STRIKE]18[/STRIKE] 25 NSDs 5/25 Day five achieved.
    I didn't spend yesterday, today I'm going to buy a birthday present for a friend, but that will come out of the Gift pot.
    I sometimes feel all my pots are a little cheaty with my NSDs. I have several pots for Grocerys, Holidays, Fitness, Gifts, Treats and House stuff (paint, new pans etc). As long as something comes out of the correct pot I class it as a NSD as I haven't bought something random & unneeded (with the acception of the Treat & House pots, as I don't need to spend from those). I'm trying to be more mindful with my money and sticking to the essentials, so avoiding buying treats for myself.
    -£5 to foodbank / charity

Unabashed, unambiguous, unconditional, undaunted, undivided, unerring, unshakeable devotion to your goal(s). [more on this later]
    Turned down the offer of a takeaway pizza today. I love pizza, and BF would have been paying (we have a rule, whoever suggests a takeaway has to pay for the takeaway), so this is a huge achievement for me!

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens... Planned for the next week.

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read. BF bought a new stair gate. Pup has one in the doorway of his bedroom, and we've been using a large thin box for the stairs (very awkward and frustrating to keep manovering out of the way).
    BF went to fit the stairgate to the stairs, but the connections wouldn't fit where the bannisters are. So he put the new one on pups room, and the old one on the stairs.

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally.
    Wages in, money moved out immediately to mums pot.

I want to re-introduce Bob's s t r e t c h challenge for January: how much extra an you earn / save off your food shop / move / remove.

Sold something on ebay today, going to wait and see what fees ebay takes off before I bank the cash.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 5 January 2018 at 10:12PM
    Options
    Happy birthday for tomorrow to your DS, dolly! :) I was in very early labour this time 12 years ago :)

Just updating so I have all my running totals correct :)

Janus a time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? 12 months: debt free (exc BTL mtge - but target of 4K ops) A decent no of jobs completed from our 'to do' list for the house (some are small, some are big/ long term/ expensive) Fitter. Hopefully with 2 children at uni. Pensions sorted.
    Today - got new latches for both side gates (currently one broken, the other not very good. OH needs to fit them, but it's a start! :D)

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect an old one. ALSO, be active. Keep moving. - Currently only at 7.7k steps for today, which is from being around the house. Lots of bending and stretching clearing kitchen cupboards out. Better than nothing!

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?) (not fussed if I don't achieve this as long as budgets aren't blown) 1/18.
    -your budgets are set by the start of the month and are fixed.
    Food - 52.34/£400
    Fuel - £63/65 - filled my car up today - I was running on basically empty (range of < 5miles)
    Toiletries - £10
    Household - 11.23 /£20 - loo rolls :)
    Clothes - 12.13/ £60 - jeans for me
    Social - £100 (includes takeaway for DS2's bday)
    Gifts - £50
    -£5 to foodbank / charity - Direct debit to charity set up. Also got some babyfood free through a shopping app which I will donate to foodbank
    -pay money to your debts/savings FIRST - day to day CCs paid off in full. Some money transferred to kitchen fund. My tax bill paid in full (£565)
    -meal plan - I don't do this. OH hates meal planning. However, I am targeting stuff which needs using up first, even if only for me.

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens... -ok
    Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read. ok. 10 things added to CS pile today! (decluttering is going quite well :D)

Stretch challenge - aim to get extra money of £50. £0.29/£50 (although have been doing surveys today so will ultimately see the benefit when at a level to cashout) Aim to declutter 50 items. 91/50:j
    Have joined pay off all your debts by Xmas 2018, MFW 2018 (looking to OP £4k on BTL mtge), Declutter in 2018 (aiming for 2018 items!:eek:) Relisted 7 items on fleabay

something Joyful in Jan :
    Saw my favourite aunt and uncle today - came here for coffee and to drop off card and present for DS2.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • abundant1972
    abundant1972 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Evening everybody!

Raphael - happy belated Birthday :)

Hang in there Kerry. As Icc86 said - keeping a track of positive things can be good. I too have been/am still walking down the rocky road of anxiety/depression. Be kind to yourself - you have been through a lot. Your life will be slowly re-arranging itself and internally this will take time, and feel very uncertain. *ANY* small thing you do for yourself, to make your life better... is a great thing. You don't and won't have to be 'fixed' overnight - in fact - you're not broken. What you are going through is a normal response. Just be kind to yourself... Hugs.

It is always humbling to hear what others are going through in their lives - thank you for sharing with us.

Yesterday = NSD number 3
    Today = NSD number 4

Good news this week in that I have got some extra work secured... and discovered for the last 2 months I've been massively underpaid!!! Got that sorted and should be getting a better income at the end of Jan.

Yesterday was a real 'down day' and I couldn't get going until gone midday. I dragged myself to the gym, and managed to not spend. I also have drank a glass of water on waking every day for 5 days... one of my smaller but positive NY resolutions. Small steps, right?

Today I am grateful for:
    • Unexpected income heading my way
    • Being in a position to enable people and offer reassurance
    • My everyday amenities - hot and cold water, z toilet and shower, heating, a fridge, cooker and microwave, and a comfortable bed.
    I am truly blessed and abundant - and give thanks.

x
    DFD = August 2027 @ £250/month
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    My life is full of abundance and prosperity
    NST Feb: Food & Spends = £216.51 / £290.00 NSD = 1 /15
    Be kind - Eat well - Exercise - Be mindful
  • Kerry_Woman
    Options
    abundant1972 - Thank you. Sending hugs.