Redundancy Consultation

Options
Hi all,

Would appreciate advice from those in the know. I'll try to keep it brief, but will try to give info to clarify what's happening. It's also difficult to explain without breaking confidentiality.

I currently work for an organisation which is part of a larger company. There are three departments in the organisation and my role encompasses three different jobs, to cover the three different jobs they came up with a BS job title that means nothing to anyone. The majority of my hours cover two of the three departments, with a very small input into the third.

Due to regulatory changes in this third department I've been told that my job is at threat of redundancy as the company claims they cannot afford to make these changes and keep the same number of staff. To a point I am not surprised, as someone will be needed to undertake similar duties to mine in this department (a role which currently doesn't exist but will need to be created), so it makes sense to combine the roles - my fear is that they are going to tack on another element requiring qualifications which I don't have, which will be their argument for not simply offering me the role and instead making me 'redundant'.

I have no idea what is going to happen with the third role, there is no reason why it would be affected by the restructure, except for the fact that if I lose my other two jobs I won't be around to do it.

One of my three roles is mandatory for the organisation to have, therefore the post cannot be made redundant as it will still have to exist.
I also spoke to someone at the parent organisation who has said that the second role is required by them, so again, someone will have to take on these responsibilities.
As far as I know there is no one currently within the organisation who could simply subsume these jobs into their current positions, so someone new would need to be brought in to undertake them.

My question is that if the majority of my hours (20.5 out of 28.5/week) are made up of jobs that the company has to have in order to function and that they would need to employ someone new to do, is my job really redundant or can they simply get around it because they can claim the job title itself is no longer required?
Also what are my rights if they create a new role which is mostly my current job, with the additional qualification, knowing that it's impossible for me to achieve these for me to be able to continue in employment?

Comments

• Ellen148
    Ellen148 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 18 April 2018 at 9:02AM
    Options
    I wouldn't describe them as tasks. I was hired as X, then offered more hours to take on Y position and then finally Z. They are technically three different jobs, but they have been merged under one job title because one person is doing them.
    In different situations my job is given as whichever role as required - so where we need to have X my name appears, the job title is only really used internally because to list all three would get ridiculous. My fear is that I'm going to get stung becasue they can claim the job as per the title is redundant even though the three constituant elements of it aren't.

In regards as to whether I want to stay, after the way I've been treated not particularly as I have lost all respect for my immidiate boss and no longer trust them. If they had spoken to me in advance of the need to change I could have accepted it, as I say I understand the logic of merging two of my posisitions with the required new one, but to not say a word until I'm slapped with a formal letter to me shows a total lack of respect. And it makes me more determind not to be treated if the company is acting unfairly and why I'm asking for advice.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Consultation is two way and the correct process of engagement of those involved in a change of organization.

You need to engage in the consultation process

The trigger seems to be what you do for department 3.
    You should know what is needed to meet the new obligations and be able to propose a plan that includes you, might mean training if you don't have the skill qualifications.

If you won't be able to do the new work someone else will and to make them viable it might include absorbing some of your work.

Look for other work you can take on to fill the gap or maybe consider reduced hours and look for other work that could be combines with this new function.

You need to make a business case for why you are still the right person for work you do. or how your rolls can be changed so the company still needs you.

Forget the job title, focus on what makes you valuable to the business.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure