Income based JSA affected by Offset savings

Options
Hi,

If after 6 months on contrubution based JSA I understand I move to a income based means tested JSA.

I have some savings over 16k in a offset mortgage but it's not really savings as it is reducing by inrtest and thus my debt.

Would I not get the income based JSA becuase of that? Do they look at offeset savings in that way?

Comments

• scope
    scope Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My guess is that Offset saving will still be classified as Savings, because at the end of the day it is just that..The fact that you use it to reduce your mortgage doesnt matter. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It may depend on how your lender holds your offset savings. If they are held in an account separate to your mortgage then they look suspiciously like savings. If they just mean that your mortgage account has a lower negative balance then it would be harder for them to be classed as pure savings.

Bit of a grey area.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • scrooge2008
    scrooge2008 Posts: 1,369 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't have thought they would be classified as savings, because HMRC doesn't view them as taxable, whereas money in a saving's account usually is.

Interesting question though. I've wondered about this too, but never got a straight answer.
    I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.
  • Sprintblue
    Options
    Caution,

It might be worth moving the funds and getting to JSA IB earlier ...

There are a number of gotchas if you have not been on JSA IB long enough.

Don't wait to the six month point and then switch .. I did and I got burnt ..
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam No idea why you removed it as it was something I learnt from this site - bizarre
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure