PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

50k buy to let

Options

Comments

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    I would say stupid financial advice but then you gambled on prices falling yrs ago and lots big time so you probably would have been better off in hind sight putting it on the lottery.

I had no interest in house prices really until the 2008 crash, or just before, so you have your wires crossed there somewhere I`m afraid.
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    At the moment no, BTL is still a better return however I would agree BTL is a lot more work and potential risk... If you only have 50k then no don't go into BTL, if its part of a wider investment portfolio then yes.

BTL has no part in a sensible "Wider investment portfolio" now. You are letting your own bets cloud your judgement IMO.
  • jimbog
    jimbog Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Still a better punt than BTL at the moment IMO.

Better keep that to yourself. Wouldn't want your landlord to hear you :rotfl:
    Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    BTL has no part in a sensible "Wider investment portfolio" now. You are letting your own bets cloud your judgement IMO.

BTL has become more difficult but as a spread and long term investment only and as long as you put enough deposit in and its done in a company structure it can be a very good way especially considering current interest rates, if rates increase to 4-5% then that would tip the balance.
  • PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    Options
    Many factors in this. If you could predict which areas are to become gentrified, you'd strike a gold mine.

If the property is in good condition and prices on the rise, then you have nothing to lose. Things can and do go wrong, but do your research, get a good deal and BTL can be a good investment. You could always buy now, sell later and use the profit to invest in a bigger property/flat for rent. You'll know the ropes a bit more by then also.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    They don't rent to good tenants for about £450 per month they rent to the tenants that no one else wants because they stop paying the rent or wreck the house. For a good tenant paying £450 per month you need to pay around 100k.
    Talk about stereo typing a neighbourhood.

What a lot of tosh you just wrote. For one thing £100k doesn't get you good tenants, a million can't even do that. There are good and bad tenants whatever the price range.

OP tenants aside, a 50k property is not going to rise in value, it's in a neighbourhood that will attract vey little growth.

Yes you need to maintain the property, boiler, electrics, everything. By the time you pay for maintenance, tax on the rent (if applicable) etc it will take you about 15 years to get your money back. Do you really want the hassle of all the trouble this could and will bring.

One bad tenant, and you will get at least one and the repairs will go through the roof, think hard about what your 50k can do elsewhere.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    bris wrote: »
    Talk about stereo typing a neighbourhood.

What a lot of tosh you just wrote. For one thing £100k doesn't get you good tenants, a million can't even do that. There are good and bad tenants whatever the price range.

OP tenants aside, a 50k property is not going to rise in value, it's in a neighbourhood that will attract vey little growth.

Yes you need to maintain the property, boiler, electrics, everything. By the time you pay for maintenance, tax on the rent (if applicable) etc it will take you about 15 years to get your money back. Do you really want the hassle of all the trouble this could and will bring.

One bad tenant, and you will get at least one and the repairs will go through the roof, think hard about what your 50k can do elsewhere.

If i had 50K in 2004 i could have more than doubled it without spending a penny on it in 5 years, And the house still holds its value even now. if i had 75k 5 years ago to buy a different house same road, i could have done some work on it and still made 30K selling it today.

Rule 1 is the worst house on a nice street, usually best from well kept house lived in by an elderly lady.

I know people who buy to sell as a living, and its the best way.
  • BrassicWoman
    Options
    Zombie thread alert
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    Sweets can get dropped even if your parents are married/still together. Disabled people can drop things too.

Judging by the nations obesity crisis it’s not just children who eat sweets :rotfl:

There is a lot more to being a landlord than buying a property then sitting back and waiting for the rent to roll in.

What would you do (legally) if the rent stops suddenly?
    How would you (legally) get the tenants to leave?
    How would you (legally) ask for a rent increase?
    What are the tenants rights (legally) if the heating stops working?

These are very basic questions that a landlord must know.

As someone else said, you are probably not cut out to be a landlord and should invest your money somewhere else.
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    At the moment no, BTL is still a better return however I would agree BTL is a lot more work and potential risk... If you only have 50k then no don't go into BTL, if its part of a wider investment portfolio then yes.

You can invest in property funds, why bother with the hassle (maybe) of being a landlord?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure