CSCS Rip Off

Options
I'm just wondering if there's anyone else out there that thinks paying £30 for a Construction Skills Certification Scheme(CSCS) card is a total rip off ? How much does it really cost to produce a bit of plastic with your photo on it ?

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doesn't that actually include the test fee?
  • Br00nie
    Options
    no the test fee on top of that £17.50 I think
  • Br00nie
    Options
    also if you have to sit a seperate health & safety 5.0 course which costs >£100 absolute rip off
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It is a bit of a racket. Started off reasonable, and then the price started rising sharply once they were widely adopted.

Never once been asked for mine, but I still have to have one. My firm insists everyone does, someone's making a pretty penny out of it.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    edited 1 December 2017 at 5:30PM
    Options
    Br00nie wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if there's anyone else out there that thinks paying £30 for a Construction Skills Certification Scheme(CSCS) card is a total rip off ? How much does it really cost to produce a bit of plastic with your photo on it ?
    no the test fee on top of that £17.50 I think
    also if you have to sit a seperate health & safety 5.0 course which costs >£100 absolute rip off

£147.50, Clearly you are paying the wrong people:

https://cscs.uk.com/applying-for-cards/

"CSCS cards cost £30 and the separate CITB Health, safety and environment test costs £19.50. There are organisations that offer card application services. If you are being charged more than £30 for a card or £19.50 for a CITB Health, safety & environment test, check that you understand what additional services you will receive."

Total £49.50
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    most of the big builders wont let you on site if you dont have one
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've checked a few of the local test centres near me who charge £30 for test and card incl.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I also had to have one but the company paid for it,was never asked on site for it,i used to think that it was a joke having to take a test to prove what i had done since leaving school,5 years apprenticship then over 40 years in the industry.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    I also had to have one but the company paid for it,was never asked on site for it,i used to think that it was a joke having to take a test to prove what i had done since leaving school,5 years apprenticship then over 40 years in the industry.

You say that, but I still know of a few people who failed the test - given that most of the questions have 3 answers that will kill you and 1 that won't, I think it's a really good thing that people who fail don't work on building sites!
  • Br00nie
    Options
    £147.50, Clearly you are paying the wrong people:

"CSCS cards cost £30 and the separate CITB Health, safety and environment test costs £19.50. There are organisations that offer card application services. If you are being charged more than £30 for a card or £19.50 for a CITB Health, safety & environment test, check that you understand what additional services you will receive."

Total £49.50

You can't now get a Green Card (Operative) without this course. Now what they are doing is forcing people , like myself, to have a SVQ/NVQ level relative to your job, my job requires a level 5 costs £3000.00 & up. Last time i sat an exam was at school, to many years ago to remember !
    Quick Reply Thanks 0 Edit Post
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport