PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Shared ownership subletting / buy to let problem

Options
Jo*_2
Jo*_2 Posts: 116 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 20 July 2017 at 1:34AM in House buying, renting & selling
I bought 50% of my flat 13 years ago. I wish I had bought the rest a few years ago, when I first had the opportunity to..

I've had to move away for my job and have been living with a new partner. My flat is unoccupied most of the time, so I'd like to rent it out.

As per all or most SO properties, its written into my lease that I can't sub-let. So my initial thought was to buy the other half then rent it out. However, my mortgage broker says to let it I need a buy to let mortgage on 100% of the current value. The HA and a local estate agent on the other hand, disagree, saying I can just buy the other 50% and request permission from the lender at the same time. The only way I think the latter might have a slim chance of being successful is if I stay with my current lender, who I've been with since I bought the place..?

I'm waiting for a response from a second broker to see if they say the same ie buy to let on 100%. I need to get the right product as the difference in deposit sums is tens of thousands.

Anyway I've just been reading that in exceptional circumstances, HAs will grant permission to sub let for a period of time, despite what it says in the lease. I am happy to request permission. But what if they say no? Then they'll know I'm hardly there!

I'd be grateful for your opinions on both the mortgage issue, and what happens if the HA says no. Thanks ☺

Comments

• Lurkingtoposting17
    Options
    Hi Jo

I had a shared ownership property a couple of years back, got sick and moved home to my parents. I was signed off work and was with them so they could help take care of me. I asked my HA if I could sublet, as I was off work, and living with family and provided evidence from my doctor. They refused. The property remained empty until sold. As far as I was aware this was no problem.

I ended up selling the property.

I can't advise on mortgages, but I imagine if you staircase an existing mortgage, it wouldn't be buy to let so yes you'd need lenders permission to let once you've staircased. I've never let a property so I can't tell you likelihood of this being accepted or if there are instances when it's declined.

Also if a flat in wholly HA building where the HA owns the freehold, worth checking if the lease allows subletting at all?! In fact check this part of the lease even if they don't own the freehold as it is always possible subletting is against the leasehold rules.

Getting a buy to let mortgage on 100% of the property sounds like the suggestion would be to sell the property and buy it yourself, if buying to let it, then I feel like the HA would tell you you couldn't buy it yourself as you wouldn't be living in the property and they'd sell it to someone in need of a shared ownership scheme ahead of you (I could be wrong but from what the mortgage provider is proposing this sounds possible)

Do you have enough equity to consider selling the property and buying a buy to let investment elsewhere?

Good luck !

With regards to the best mortgage, /94
  • gazfocus
    gazfocus Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whether or not the HA will allow sub-letting differs between HA's. I have a shared ownership property that I have been renting out for 3 years now with the HA's permission but they will only give 6 months consent at a time, and they have eventually pushed for me to sell the house so it's definitely not a long term solution.

I would be suprised if you could get a residential mortgage on the house whilst asking for consent to let at the same time but there's no reason you couldn't get a residential mortgage, then ask for consent to let after it's all gone through.
  • gazfocus
    gazfocus Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Getting a buy to let mortgage on 100% of the property sounds like the suggestion would be to sell the property and buy it yourself, if buying to let it, then I feel like the HA would tell you you couldn't buy it yourself as you wouldn't be living in the property and they'd sell it to someone in need of a shared ownership scheme ahead of you (I could be wrong but from what the mortgage provider is proposing this sounds possible)
    When staircasing to 100%, you don't have to remain with the same mortgage lender, you can apply for any mortgage with any lender as it doesn't need to be a 'shared ownership mortgage'. So, the OP can staircase to 100% with a Buy to Let mortgage if they wish and there's nothing the HA can do to stop them - it will be written in the lease that the OP can staircase to 100%.
  • Jo*_2
    Options
    Hi Jo
    I asked my HA if I could sublet, as I was off work, and living with family and provided evidence from my doctor. They refused. The property remained empty until sold. As far as I was aware this was no problem.
    So it remained empty - what a waste.

Also if a flat in wholly HA building where the HA owns the freehold, worth checking if the lease allows subletting at all?! In fact check this part of the lease even if they don't own the freehold as it is always possible subletting is against the leasehold rules.

The rest of the building is either owned out right or being let out, so i know there'll be no problem eventually in getting permission to let. But i want to be going the right way about it and want to avoid the HA and any lender rejecting my request. I also don't like the idea of putting on record anywhere that its empty most of the time.

Do you have enough equity to consider selling the property and buying a buy to let investment elsewhere?

I do, and maybe that would be a much simpler option. I know for definite in that case that it would be a buy to let mortgage. I dont want to let go of my flat though and would much rather rent it out to someone else. I just dont know which way to go about it, as its the difference of a lot of money.
  • Jo*_2
    Options
    gazfocus wrote: »

I would be suprised if you could get a residential mortgage on the house whilst asking for consent to let at the same time but there's no reason you couldn't get a residential mortgage, then ask for consent to let after it's all gone through.

This is what makes me nervous. I could obtain a mortgage for the other 50% and then say i've had a change of circs straight away. Wouldnt they find that a bit suspicious? And if they were to refuse at that point, i'd be a bit stuck - having gone through lots of admin fees and deposit sums, to be no further along in my plan to let.
  • Jo*_2
    Options
    gazfocus wrote: »
    When staircasing to 100%, you don't have to remain with the same mortgage lender, you can apply for any mortgage with any lender as it doesn't need to be a 'shared ownership mortgage'. So, the OP can staircase to 100% with a Buy to Let mortgage if they wish and there's nothing the HA can do to stop them - it will be written in the lease that the OP can staircase to 100%.

There's definitely no problem with me staircasing or letting it out once i have 100%, as far as the HA are concerned as all other properties in this building have done one or other or both.

I'm interested when you say i can get a buy to let mortgage for the other half. My broker says i can't do that, and can only do it for 100% of the value.

The broker i emailed last night for a second opinion is going to get back to me later with her thoughts.

I am considering requesting permission from the HA right now with 50% in the meantime. It sounds like i have nothing to lose? I was concerned that they'd say no and expect me to remain there, but they can't enforce that on me, can they? I am there once every 30 days as far as the contents insurance and mortgage is concerned, and i still pay council tax on it. So i assume i'm ok even if the HA turn me down?
  • dee096
    Options
    Jo* wrote: »
    I'd be grateful for your opinions on both the mortgage issue, and what happens if the HA says no. Thanks ☺

Hi Jo. Interested in knowing how this went for you? I'm in a similar position in needing permission to sublet from the outset, actually I've already started to sublet as I had to move away, but I'm keen to 'get my house in order' so to speak and figure out how to approach. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure