Welcome Finance Underwriters

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    anyone else has any other suggestions
    My only suggestion is that you simply give up. Don't forget that, even if you do find out who the underwriter was, you'd not only have to show them that any PPI you had was mis-sold but also get them to accept liability in the first place.

Many many before you have posted here "determined" to advance pre-regulation complaints against this lender.

I defy you to show me one post where anyone has had even a modicum of success.
  • Lee_Lucky_Nut
    Options
    My only suggestion is that you simply give up. Don't forget that, even if you do find out who the underwriter was, you'd not only have to show them that any PPI you had was mis-sold but also get them to accept liability in the first place.

Many many before you have posted here "determined" to advance pre-regulation complaints against this lender.

I defy you to show me one post where anyone has had even a modicum of success.

Well, I appreciate all advice given here but your suggestion of 'giving up' isn't one I'm going to follow. Finding the underwriter remains my 1st priority, I can handle the issue of liability as and when it arises, if I do get that far and it is rejected there's always the Ombudsman.
    Strange that you would 'defy me' to do anything when all I seek is assistance - never mind, onwards and upwards.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,510 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    if I do get that far and it is rejected there's always the Ombudsman.

You wont have access to the ombudsman on a pre-regulation case.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Strange that you would 'defy me' to do anything when all I seek is assistance
    That's the point. We can't offer you any assistance other than to inform you that you are going to find pursuing this a very frustrating experience.

The Ombudsman is not available to you.
    never mind, onwards and upwards.
    More like knocking your head against a brick wall, I'm afraid..

More than a week after your initial posting about this, what progress can you so far report?
  • Lee_Lucky_Nut
    Options
    That's the point. We can't offer you any assistance other than to inform you that you are going to find pursuing this a very frustrating experience.

The Ombudsman is not available to you.

More like knocking your head against a brick wall, I'm afraid..

More than a week after your initial posting about this, what progress can you so far report?

My progess has been slow but that's down to me being away, I continue to chase Welcome and still have a case open with them, I hope to continually pester them on the basis that it was a sales guy in their employment who mis-sold the PPI. I've been to Aviva (and Admiral) who have confirmed they were not underwriters at that time.
    My next stop is Cornhill who I believe is now Allianz and I've found a small snippet on the Internet that might point me in another direction of who the underwriter(s) may have been.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,510 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't see any harm with you carrying on as long as you are aware of the issues and the statistical likelihood. Pre-regulation cases which pre-dates FCA regulation and the GISC (which is where the underwriter gets its liability) and no access to FOS or FSCS means the odds are damned low.

Just because there is no evidence of anyone getting a payout on a Welcome case at your time doesn't mean it hasn't happened. However, it could be just that there is no success cases. Why would a firm payout on a pre-regulation, pre GISC case where no other regulatory body was involved when they can just say no?

So, not going to defy you doing it. More a case of making you aware that plenty of others have tried and there has been no documented success.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Lee_Lucky_Nut
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    I don't see any harm with you carrying on as long as you are aware of the issues and the statistical likelihood. Pre-regulation cases which pre-dates FCA regulation and the GISC (which is where the underwriter gets its liability) and no access to FOS or FSCS means the odds are damned low.

Just because there is no evidence of anyone getting a payout on a Welcome case at your time doesn't mean it hasn't happened. However, it could be just that there is no success cases. Why would a firm payout on a pre-regulation, pre GISC case where no other regulatory body was involved when they can just say no?

So, not going to defy you doing it. More a case of making you aware that plenty of others have tried and there has been no documented success.

Thanks - I am under no illusions that this will be quick or easy, nor do I 100% expect to have a successful outcome but I really do intend to ruffle a few feathers along the way, particularly with Welcome Finance !
  • sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What is the name of the underwriter on the PPI policy document in 1999?

I can think of a case where an underwriter has accepted liability for pre reg complaints as a gesture of goodwill, that is Genworth (now Axa). An adjudicator at FOS mentioned it to me last year.

Why not phone FOS, explain your situation and see what they advise.
  • Lee_Lucky_Nut
    Options
    sun73 wrote: »
    What is the name of the underwriter on the PPI policy document in 1999?

I can think of a case where an underwriter has accepted liability for pre reg complaints as a gesture of goodwill, that is Genworth (now Axa). An adjudicator at FOS mentioned it to me last year.

Why not phone FOS, explain your situation and see what they advise.
    Hi - unfortunately there is no mention of the underwriter on my paperwork, hence me asking if anyone knows who they might be !

I've previously been in touch with the Ombudsman to see if they knew of the underwriter but I drew a blank there too.

I have received another follow up (letter) from Welcome which says they can't take my claim any further but if I do manage to find out who the underwriter was then they will investigate - strange...
  • sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wonder if they did their own in house underwriting of PPI policies. Have you looked at the FCA register? Often that can provide a timeline of company names, permissions, regulators etc I seem to remember the name Cattles is mentioned in connection with Welcome Finance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure