Options
13»

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Personally, I'd be able to manage without getting to the shops for months (assuming I could learn to stomach coffee without milk :D) but not everyone can afford to have a stock of food.
    But we were aware of the forecast for snow so OH did a quick shop for beers, bread & milk on Sunday.
    We managed with what we'd got until the buses started running again past our house on Friday lunchtime.

There's the refund issue.
    Some people can't afford to buy 2 lots of groceries in a week so that delay may well have caused the OP hardship.

Not everyone will have the funds to suddenly buy extra food, but everyone should have the funds to accumulate a stock through forward planning.

Even if its just 1 item every now and then. Rice, pasta, tins, long life or powdered milk, crackers, part baked rolls/bread......it doesn't take long to build enough enough of a supply to keep you for a week or more. I was brought up that way, including that you should try to make sure you always have flour, eggs, milk & butter (amazing how many dishes can be made with those ingredients alone or by just adding one or two others). As a result, I could go months without shopping and we'd still be well fed - might not be the fresh ingredients we prefer, but the important thing is we won't starve.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Not everyone will have the funds to suddenly buy extra food, but everyone should have the funds to accumulate a stock through forward planning.

Even if its just 1 item every now and then. Rice, pasta, tins, long life or powdered milk, crackers, part baked rolls/bread......it doesn't take long to build enough enough of a supply to keep you for a week or more. I was brought up that way, including that you should try to make sure you always have flour, eggs, milk & butter (amazing how many dishes can be made with those ingredients alone or by just adding one or two others). As a result, I could go months without shopping and we'd still be well fed - might not be the fresh ingredients we prefer, but the important thing is we won't starve.

I'm confused why you've quoted my post you've just said pretty much the same thing as I have.
  • Pollycat
    edited 8 March 2018 at 10:20AM
    Options
    maybe you could answer this:
    You've said you've cancelled your rolling monthly pass (whatever that is) and aren't going to use them again but have you actually been in touch with the supermarket and told them what happened (acknowledging the weather problems) and explaining why you were not happy with the service you received?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm confused why you've quoted my post you've just said pretty much the same thing as I have.

Unless I misread (and I am still misreading) your post, you said not everyone can afford to have a stock of food.

I said perhaps not on short notice, but with enough forward planning they can. Not saying its easy, but its worth it.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Pollycat
    edited 8 March 2018 at 12:07PM
    Options
    Unless I misread (and I am still misreading) your post, you said not everyone can afford to have a stock of food.

I said perhaps not on short notice, but with enough forward planning they can. Not saying its easy, but its worth it.
    Ah, I see now.
    I was on my phone.

I was giving the OP the benefit of the doubt and I suppose I was being kind to the OP as they posted this:
    kevanf1 wrote: »
    We were very low on both basic food items and major stuff which is why the order was submitted 3 days previously.
    and I thought the reason they didn't have a food stock was possibly because of financial reasons.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Stockpile foods don't have to be things you normally eat and can often be the cheapest of the cheap, although it does help if they are things you use regularly so can rotate. Have a look at the Tesco Everyday Value (slowly changing its name to Hearty Food Co.) range for some ideas. If you can buy one extra tin or packet each week or every other week, you'd have a decent stash in no time. We don't have much storage space either but be creative! Stick a tin of beans in your sock drawer and a carton of milk under your bed or sofa.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    rach_k wrote: »
    Stockpile foods don't have to be things you normally eat and can often be the cheapest of the cheap, although it does help if they are things you use regularly so can rotate. Have a look at the Tesco Everyday Value (slowly changing its name to Hearty Food Co.) range for some ideas. If you can buy one extra tin or packet each week or every other week, you'd have a decent stash in no time. We don't have much storage space either but be creative! Stick a tin of beans in your sock drawer and a carton of milk under your bed or sofa.
    Personally, I'd never consider buying anything that I didn't normally use on the off-chance that I'd not be able to get to the shops.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    kevanf1 wrote: »
    Just for the record. I am on a fixed income disabled benefit. I am unable to work and never will be again. I have a number of severe and life threatening illnesses/conditions. My wife works part time and is on a low wage. No we cannot afford to have a massive stockpile of foods available. I have to be very careful with my diet and with the bet will in the world fresh vegetables only last a few days. We have a small freezer and cannot afford to buy a bigger one or even have the room for one if we could. We already have long life milk but again it' having the room to store large amounts. We simply do not have the storage space or the money to be able to do it.

I'm in much the same position as you, except I live on my own.

When I first went on to benefits my priority was to spend £2-3 extra per week on dried milk and tinned foods to store in a storage crate for emergencies.

It didn't take long to build up a couple of weeks stock of food. Just remember to "rotate" it to ensure it doesn't go out-of-date,
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    I'm in much the same position as you, except I live on my own.

When I first went on to benefits my priority was to spend £2-3 extra per week on dried milk and tinned foods to store in a storage crate for emergencies.

It didn't take long to build up a couple of weeks stock of food. Just remember to "rotate" it to ensure it doesn't go out-of-date,

Good advice. I also did this but I've also built up a wee emergency food fund so that when we are pre-warned (like we were about last week) I can stock up a bit more to see me through.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure