PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First time buyer, slow move help...

Options
Hi all,

I'm about to buy my first house. As we're currently renting, we're going to run both places for about 6 weeks to allow for a slow, low-stress move.

I just wondered if anyone's got any advice, or things to watch out for when they did this? I'm hoping that the council and the various service providers will be used to this happening, but if anyone has any experiences to share or things to watch out for, please let me know!

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 January 2018 at 10:25PM
    Options
    I think the main things to watch out for are the dual council tax, dual utility bills (at least standing charges on both properties), contents insurance - letting your insurer know that your possessions will need to be insured across both properties for a period, making sure you get buildings insurance to start the day you legally own the new property. Post - making sure it’s redirected and that addresses are changed. Car insurance - making sure they know where the car(s) will be kept overnight and when.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It mkes no difference to service providers.

You give them an end date for final bills at one property - they don't care about the other.

You give the other prviders the start date at the other property - they don't care about the first.
  • Beaker99
    Beaker99 Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks, will I be able to pay reduced council tax on the house I'm moving into for the first six weeks (technically uninhabited), or is it really not worth the hassle?
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Maybe, it depends on your council.

Some of them charge 150% for unoccupied properties.
  • Debtslayer
    Options
    Why 6 weeks?
    Check your rental agreement, normally it's 1 month notice required which you don't give until you exchange contracts
    This should be plenty of time to move
    Current Mortgage 01.10.17 £113,513.88
    MFW Start Mortgage: £114,794.64
    Current MED: 2036:eek: Target MED: 2026 ;)
    Overpayment Target for remainder of 2017: £2,000
    Mortgage overpayment savings: £684.80
    MFW No 124 :money:
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    An overlap is a good idea (I've never tried to do it all on one day) but six weeks seems excessive, unless you've got lots of work to do before the new place is habitable.
  • CommitedToChange
    Options
    Debtslayer wrote: »
    Why 6 weeks?
    Check your rental agreement, normally it's 1 month notice required which you don't give until you exchange contracts
    This should be plenty of time to move

It's one months notice if you can exchange before that notice is due and you can arrange a suitable completion date. I'll probably have a 6 week overlap assuming I actually complete as my notice has to be before the 10th but I need to exchange / complete before the end of the month. (mortgage offer expires).

I am looking forward to a slow move though I* as need to repaint my flat as part of my terms of being allowed to decorate while I lived here.

* well me and friends bribed with pizzza and beer :D
  • Beaker99
    Beaker99 Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm in a fairly informal rent, with 6 weeks deposit. The landlord's happy to just not pay the last 6 weeks, hence the odd arrangement..
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Beaker99 wrote: »
    ..... The landlord's happy to just not pay the last 6 weeks, hence the odd arrangement..
    I love the idea of a landlord who pays his tenant each week/mont.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure