PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Do you pay to dispose of stuff as a householder where you are? Here you can get rid of as much as you like if you can physically get it to the tip. Its only trade/commercial waste and special collections that are charged for.

I took 15m2 of carpet in about 10 bin bags the other day!

Every council has its own rules. Here in Devon, DIY waste is charged at £3.60 a sack/bin bag, but if I turn up with a big dumpy sack, they're conservative in their estimate of how many normal sacks that is.

People can get rid of as many carpets, mattresses and bits of furniture as they like for free + the usual garden waste. The logic is that there's only a legal duty to collect household waste, not the products of house renovation, landscaping etc.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Here in Devon, DIY waste is charged at £3.60 a sack/bin bag...

I hate to think what their annual fly-tip clearance budget is then :eek:
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And I thought my council was mean! It's free if you can get it to the tip, pardon, civic amenity site. Garden waste collection £60 a year for a wheelie bin or £1.60 a sack (no more than 20kgs)
  • phoebe1989seb
    Options
    No householder charges here and - for now at least - garden waste collection in wheelie bins is still FOC. Good job too as our council tax is ridiculously high :(

One thing we have noticed since moving to the West Midlands is that the [STRIKE]tip[/STRIKE] recycling centre doesn't have a resale area. Not sure if that's the same in other parts of the country, but back in Wiltshire (and previously in both Essex and Hampshire) there were sections set aside for the sale of the *better class of rubbish* ;)
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    NaughtiusMaximus Posts: 2,832 Forumite
    edited 10 September 2017 at 6:07PM
    Options
    This is the biggest back garden I've ever seen on on a suburban 3 bed house.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68361530.html#location

On the satellite view it's 10 houses to the left of the grey dot, next door to the house with the solar panels.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Complete with an "old air age shelter" [sic] ;)

Might be a useful feature with the North Korea situation developing... but not sure the door and roof are up to NBC standards :(
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68361530.html#location
    That is a good size; probably too good for many folk!

I once viewed a house in Warminster, Wilts with a 620' back garden, but it was somewhat narrower than that. Looking east on the aerial photo, it seems as if some people got together and sold off parts of their gardens for development. (Newland Gardens)
  • StumpyPumpy
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    The Buxton house yesterday was a classic example of a good old-fashioned house, properly maintained. I loved it.
    I'm with you on this. When I see a "Look at this old fashioned house, ha ha" type comment, almost invariably the houses are spotlessly clean and well maintained, whereas the constantly "modernised" ones that fill Rightmove often seem tired and neglected.

My heart sinks a little every time I see a nice old house with "Recently updated to a high standard", in the description. You almost know there is going to be some out of character fitted kitchen sticking out into the knocked through dining/living/kitchen/breakfast area. I'd much prefer to buy a well maintained "out-of-date" house than one that needs ripping out and rebuilding every 5 years.

But, surprise, surprise, people like different things and I like older things. I guess many people wouldn't bother to try and source the right type of chamfered picture rail to replace those taken out by previous owners of our house, unlike me :rotfl:

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    Options
    I remember being amazed at my last house at how different the rooms looked when we put the picture rails back. Completely altered the proportions - for the better. The trouble with people 'modernising' houses is they don't put nearly as much thought into how things look/work as the original architect. And don't get me started on double glazing units that bear no relationship to the originals ...
  • Ocelot
    Ocelot Posts: 539 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rebs wrote: »

'Harpers & Co is delighted to present this property developer's dream & rare to market stunning Georgian detached house residing on a large corner plot.'

Doesn't look Georgian to me, and, if it is, it won't be a 'property developer's dream' as it will likely be listed.!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure