Can I claim on my house insurance for rings being cut off at hospital?

Options
2»

Comments

• paddyandstumpy
    Options
    Given the rings were out of the home if they were in hospital being cut off, the wording of the AD cover is irrelevant.

If there is cover, it is under the piersonal possessions cover which is usually "all risks".

If the OP doesn't have P/P cover they can make an impassioned plea to their insurer, but any payment would be ex gratia.
  • AstroTurtle
    Options
    Given the rings were out of the home if they were in hospital being cut off, the wording of the AD cover is irrelevant.

If there is cover, it is under the piersonal possessions cover which is usually "all risks".

If the OP doesn't have P/P cover they can make an impassioned plea to their insurer, but any payment would be ex gratia.

+1

Also with them being rings they will also have to be under the "Valuables" Limit on personal possessions away from the home wording.

OP, Best to get a quote for repairs first then asses your options.
    Save £12k in 2019 -
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It needed to be totally re-modelled

But surely the precious metals and if applicable stones would still be there?
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    But surely the precious metals and if applicable stones would still be there?
    Is that addressed to me? Yes, most of the gold was still there (not enough to just rejoin it, so we decided to close the gap with a small diamond - repairing it with something stronger than had been there before). But, as I posted, it was positively mangled; there was a very rough, irregular cut, gouges out of the edges and flat outer surface and it was bent totally out of shape.

My point being that it couldn't have been repaired for a fiver - the point I was responding to.

What was the point you were making?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BooJewels wrote: »
    What was the point you were making?

Your case does sound exceptional rather than the norm.
    My point was that a lot of the value is in the gold (or precious metal) and the stones (if present) and often can be joined with minimal remodelling.

I accept your case was different, but in most cases a repair is going to be cost very effective, in some cases little more than just a join.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure