MSE News: Concert booking fees getting beyond a joke, Which? says

Options
"Which? launches a push to reform fees that can add over a third extra to the cost of music, comedy and theatre tickets..."
Read the full story:

Concert booking fees getting beyond a joke, Which? says

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• matty_art
    Options
    pawlala wrote: »
    Still cheaper than the secondary market.

Not really the point is it?

What frustrates me is when bands have a pre-sale, you are forced to buy from one ticket vendor to guarantee tickets, so no opportunity to compare. Buying 2 tickets of £32 recently paid a booking fee of £2.95 per ticket, but then on top of that, a transaction fee of £6.50. It's never clear what these two different fees represent or what you get from them/how you can avoid them.

Even buying from the venue doesn't help sometimes as the WMC in Cardiff tried to charge me £12 (£3 a ticket) just for paying with credit card recently. I just went over the road and withdrew £200 from a cash point instead.
  • nomoneytoday
    Options
    I can understand paying for delivery, but £lots when simply posting 2nd class, or paying to print yourself is IMHO ridiculous :)
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    i know jason manford told people to boycott somewhere due to there fees. as for secondary tickets its all about timing as i went to the big reunion for 27.50, 5 rows from the front when it should have been 48 each
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • Damian808
    Options
    I go to many concerts so I spend a lot of money and time organising everything, but that doesn't make the extra fees and charges much more predictable.

Apart from supporting the Which? campaign, my two pieces of advice would be to:

- If possible, try and find a ticket office near you for pickup (I use Stargreen as they're close to my work)
  • james_dean1986
    Options
    I use the ticket factory quite a lot and noticed than when the regulations changed regardin booking fees, theirs simply changed to a fulfilment fee, then on top of that they charge an admin fee and a renovations levy.
    Booked some tickets the other day from the Wolves Civic... they charge you to print out your own tickets.
    Just all about squeezing every last penny out of you!
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    Options
    It's high time credit and debit card firms ban companies from charging more than the actual fee for processing the transaction. If they can't take cards their business would be in ruins.

But if fees were banned they would simply be rolled into the ticket price.
  • matty_art
    Options
    But if fees were banned they would simply be rolled into the ticket price.

Which would at least be more transparent.
  • MrChips
    MrChips Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it just me, or did these fees not exist 10-15 years ago? Perhaps I'm looking through rose-tinted specs, but my recollection is that you used to pay a £1-£2 fee max when buying tickets, and that these would be per transaction rather than per ticket?? What's changed to justify the exponential increase?
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
  • stuart1000
    Options
    I booked tickets to see Beyonce through her website on Saturday morning. Her website redirected you to an agency called Turnupgroup. On top of an £85 ticket they charged me £8.90 Convenience Fee per ticket, £4 Processing Fee per ticket and £11 for delivery. Overall, it ended up costing roughly £105 per ticket. That's almost a 20% increase in cost. Of course, by the time you know anything about these fees you've gone through the whole buying process and there is very little you can do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure