That last drop of petrol!

Options
pault123
pault123 Posts: 1,111 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Probably a stupid question. After reading about filling up with less petrol to make your car lighter therefor reducing fuel costs; it got me thinking when filling up.

How many times have you took your hand off the pump when filling up and the figure has been short of a nice round figure eg. £19.73 £10.37 £ 14.62 etc

To make it a nice round figure youve used short bursts on the pump to bring the total up to £20, £11, £15 etc. I often get the feeling this might be a complete waste of time, a friend who works in texico said the only thing that adds up when when pressing the pump with such short and minimal pressure is the total balance on the pump. Petrol only comes out at the value your paying for it when the pump is in full flow.

Anyone else gave this any thought, those ten twenty thirty p's required to round it up will eventually add up over the space of a year and as someone quotes on here "a penny saved is a penny saved"

Have I totally lost it in my money saving quest and have gone one step too far?
Do you round your petrol off to a nice round figure (or have mastered it so it always lands spot on £20 anyway?!)

Paul

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always round it up - and if filling up will go to great lengths to try to squeeze the last bit of petrol into the tank so that it ends up on a round figure! So really it sounds like it's just for our "head" convenience. As I usually pay by card, it's not even a matter of making it easier cos you've got a £10 note or whatever - I often buy milk, paper or chocolate which takes it over the round sum anyway! I'm not going to do this now, but be quite happy rounding it up as "I spent about £15 on petrol".
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just fill up completely, about £55 for 800 miles. I don't believe any of that nonsense about miscalibration of the pump metering; they'd be sued by Weights and Measures Inspectors
  • Hunnymonster
    Hunnymonster Posts: 751 Forumite
    Options
    I always stick an 'odd amount' in - so I don't inadvertantly pay for someone elses fuel.... everyone else is putting £10/£20 etc in - and here's me putting £29.68 in :D
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

In many cases it helps if you say where you are - someone with local knowledge might be able to give local specifics rather than general advice
  • before_hollywood
    before_hollywood Posts: 20,686 Forumite
    Options
    i put in a round £20 each fortnight.
    if i am at an 'unknown' garage (neither of my local supermarkets) i pay cash, if at usual tesco or asda, it's card.
    the technology is way to complex for anyone to explain but i doubt it's anything sinister- just all that blooming tax.
    no petrol, no before hollywood at work, work that one out gordon.
    things arent the way they were before, you wouldnt even recognise me anymore- not that you knew me back then ;)
    BH is my best mate too, its ok :)

I trust BH even if he's from Manchester.. ;)

all your base are belong to us :eek:
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Forget the level £$£$ figure - go to Shell, use a Bonuspoints card & you'll be making sure you're 'just over' a full litre, to get the points/litre!!

Incedently, get their credit card & you earn more points if you pay using it. & if you just apply for a card, you're given points worth £10 petrol/shopping voucher, anyway!!

& ONLY apply for 1 card initially - they'll write to you in a few weeks time, offereing a joint card, plus ANOTHER £10 of fuel!!

VB
  • Talon_Karrde
    Talon_Karrde Posts: 143 Forumite
    Options
    i just fill up til it clicks, then squeeze once more, then i bang the hell outta the nozzle to get every last drop out!!
    where do you apply for the shell CC? and is there an equivalent BP one?? or other BP reward card?
    Talon "Ace" Karrde
    the more i see, the more i know, the more i know, the less i understand
  • pinkfluffybabe
    pinkfluffybabe Posts: 2,986 Forumite
    Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    i just fill up til it clicks, then squeeze once more, then i bang the hell outta the nozzle to get every last drop out!!
    where do you apply for the shell CC? and is there an equivalent BP one?? or other BP reward card?

The shell card can be applied for here:
    http://www.shellpluspoints.com/welcome/index.asp

Nectar is the reward card for BP as far as i know.
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2024 14/53 UU, 11 IN
  • andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    and Sainsburys, also with extra points on Visa
  • Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pault123 wrote:
    A friend who works in texico said the only thing that adds up when when pressing the pump with such short and minimal pressure is the total balance on the pump. Petrol only comes out at the value your paying for it when the pump is in full flow.

I work in a Petrol Station, and this is completely wrong. Trading Standards/Weights and Measures calibrate the pumps themselves.

I always round up to the nearest litre because thats what Morrisons Miles points work on. 1.5p off every litre. ;)
  • MoneyMonkey
    MoneyMonkey Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I remember when I was an apprentice (no, not Darth MoneyMonkey!) on a low wage... I sometimes put £2 of fuel in the car, lift the hose up, tap the nozzle, and squeeze every drop out of the thing!! I wonder how far I would get on £2 these days?!!
    Organisation and planning are for those who can't handle stress and caffine :rolleyes:
    A customer with a biscuit in his mouth, is a customer who can't complain :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport