What could have caused it?

My recent card statement showed an erroneous entry. My wife and I had attended our dentist for check ups together. We were at the desk to pay equal sums on her authorized user card, when I said payment for both of us should be from same card. Cashier voided transaction, and gave wife voided voucher, and charged card for both of us.

Statement had both voided and genuine charge included.
I'm mystified, how that could happen.

Comments

• What part has mystified you?
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    This situation does appear a bit odd. I don't quite understand why you had the first transaction voided . Why did you simply not make a second transaction on the same card?
    At what exact stage did the cashier void the transaction?
    The solution to your problem is to explain the situation to the credit card company. They will probably ask for a copy of the voided voucher.
    I assume that the word void' was actually printed on the voucher by the chip/pin terminal not hand written across it by the cashier.
  • So you have a transaction for a single check-up (the one that should have been voided) and a transaction for two check-ups (the correct one)? As stated above, the logical thing would have been to have left well alone and just done two separate transactions on the same card.

The obvious answer to how it happened is to say that the transaction was clearly not voided.

Anyway, it happened, and if it were me faced with this issue I'd be inclined to tell the dentist and ask for a refund of the incorrect charge. It's likely to be the quickest and easiest way forward.
  • oldwiring
    oldwiring Posts: 2,452 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    This situation does appear a bit odd. I don't quite understand why you had the first transaction voided . Why did you simply not make a second transaction on the same card?
    That was the cashier's decision
    At what exact stage did the cashier void the transaction?
    On relisting we intended to pay on the one card
    The solution to your problem is to explain the situation to the credit card company. They will probably ask for a copy of the voided voucher.
    No need,as was sorted with practice. Thread is for interest only
    I assume that the word void' was actually printed on the voucher by the chip/pin terminal not hand written across it by the cashier.
    Printed by terminal.
    I hope the above clarifies events.
  • oldwiring
    oldwiring Posts: 2,452 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So you have a transaction for a single check-up (the one that should have been voided) and a transaction for two check-ups (the correct one)? As stated above, the logical thing would have been to have left well alone and just done two separate transactions on the same card.

The obvious answer to how it happened is to say that the transaction was clearly not voided.

Anyway, it happened, and if it were me faced with this issue I'd be inclined to tell the dentist and ask for a refund of the incorrect charge. It's likely to be the quickest and easiest way forward.

Matters don't always follow logic, I've learnt in my many years.;)

Not voided, even though voucher issued, indeed it's a strange one. Perhaps an electronic glitch, between terminal and processing centre?

Refund.. see post above
  • a void receipt = easy chargeback

Call your card provider and they will sort it out. Literally a 2 minute job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure