PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Solicitor completion fee payment

Hi, please could someone explain simply my problem.

Bank scammed (a different prob) of which was monies for my completion. I was upfront with solicitor as exchange/completion is taking its time (council) I wanted to have a ball park figure of what I would need to pay, so that if my funds didn't come back in time I could borrow money to pay solicitor. They have advised that they will need to do checks on the monies If I have to borrow. I understand about money laundering for paying for house but why do they need to check where money coming from to pay their bill?? The money would be paid direct from my bank, so why does it matter where the money comes from to pay them?? I must be very naive?

Comments

• RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Sorry but your question isn't clear
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ...so that if my funds didn't come back in time I could borrow money to pay solicitor.

Are you sure you will get the money back? If you've been scammed, rather than the bank being scammed, you might not. (e.g. If you were tricked by a scammer into transferring money from your bank account to somebody else's bank account.)
    They have advised that they will need to do checks on the monies If I have to borrow. I understand about money laundering for paying for house but why do they need to check where money coming from to pay their bill?? The money would be paid direct from my bank, so why does it matter where the money comes from to pay them?? I must be very naive?

I guess that they want to check that the money really comes from a bank loan.

i.e. It isn't money that you've stolen from somewhere, or money you've received without paying any relevant taxes etc.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Not clear as to how much you'll need to borrow to bridge the gap.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I understand about money laundering for paying for house but why do they need to check where money coming from to pay their bill?? The money would be paid direct from my bank, so why does it matter where the money comes from to pay them?? I must be very naive?
    Some firms want to check all funds coming into them, whether it's paying their bill or not - helps to avoid the risk of unchecked funds being used for other purposes.

Is there actually a problem with doing what they're asking? If you're borrowing from a bank then this should be very easy to comply with.
  • Sibz
    Sibz Posts: 389 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There are relatively new money laundering checks now that are considerably more stringent than previous ones. They will simply be abiding by these, it's standard practice now.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,216 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Have you lost this money completely or is there a dispute with the bank as you think they are responsible? If there is a chance that you will get some money back I would tell the solicitor that you will pay later rather then taking out a loan.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    RedFraggle wrote: »
    Sorry but your question isn't clear
    There are 3 clear questions:

why do they need to check where money coming from to pay their bill?? The money would be paid direct from my bank, so why does it matter where the money comes from to pay them?? I must be very naive?
    1)Because the law requires them to do money laundering checks, but the law does not specify how, so they err on the side of caution and check everything.
    2) because then they can demonstrate they gave doe checks.
    3) no comment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport