Veterans Benefit Awards AFIP & GIP

Options
We are guardians. My son has been awarded GIP Scale 1-4, and is also in receipt of AFIP. Recently I had asked about his National Insurance Contributions. I had assumed that they would be credited as he was in receipt of his military pension GIP & AFIP benefits.

DLA, PIP are equivalent to AFIP (this is awarded to seriously injured veterans)

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Anne68 wrote: »
    We are guardians. My son has been awarded GIP Scale 1-4, and is also in receipt of AFIP. Recently I had asked about his National Insurance Contributions. I had assumed that they would be credited as he was in receipt of his military pension GIP & AFIP benefits.

DLA, PIP are equivalent to AFIP (this is awarded to seriously injured veterans)

NI contributions are taken from earnings and NI credits are given for certain earnings replacement benefits. There is a list of NI credits eligibility here https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-credits/eligibility

Pensions are not earnings so there is no NI applicable. I know nothing about GIP or AFIP but suspect there will no NI credits for either.

You may be able to get advice from Royal Legion about your best way of securing NI credits for your son.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,484 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is he in the situation that he does not receive ESA but would satisfy the conditions for it?

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-credits/eligibility
  • Anne68
    Options
    He had a medical letter stating that he cannot hold down any meaning full employment. He had a traumatic brain injury and received full time care, We receive no benefits at all other than AFIP which is the equivalent to the old DLA & PIP Benefits. To apply for Universal Credit he would have to get unfit to work certificates from his GP. I thought the AFIP Benifit would have enable his NI Contribution to be credited in the same way my Carers benefit does for me.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    AFIP appears to be a substitute for PIP and PIP does not attract any NI credits. Generally NI credits are for benefits that are paid because somebody has a reduced ability to work and earn money (earnings replacement benefits). PIP is not an earnings replacement benefit - it is a benefit to help with the additional cost of illness/disability. ESA and/or UC are the earnings replacement benefits for people too ill to work.

Suggestion by xylophone to look at a credits only claim may be appropriate. Depending on when his illness started he may actually qualify for payment of new style ESA (would have to have paid NI between April 2016 and March 2018).

As per my earlier post Royal Legion may be able to provide advice.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,484 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
  • Anne68
    Options
    The GIP is a Guaranteed Income Payment. Paid to veterans injured in service. My son receives the higher rate, it’s a life time award, doesn’t require any further assessments, and isn’t means tested. I thought this would have automatically triggered his NI Contribution to be credited. As we had never been told either way.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The British Legion really are the best people to advise you. They can offer all sorts of assistance. I hope you feel able to try contacting them.
  • Anne68
    Options
    I had previously tried British Legion but without success, referred to Veterans uk again no success. Think because AFIP is a new Award and no recognized fully that there is a gap in the system that’s been overlooked.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure