Halifax and Lowell

Options
Hello All,

Today I received a letter from Halifax stating that before they moved the balance on my Personal Current Account to Lowell, they added interest and charges and now they’re refunding this amount. Would usually be happy days but I’m not sure this is meant for me?

I’ve got a Halifax account but only opened it in November this year. The only transaction on the account is the £75 bonus, in then out.

I have no idea what Lowell is.

The account number is only 4 digits. Doesn’t say account ending or anything and doesn’t correspond to account I have with them.

It says the cheque will be sent within 28 days, so will be interesting to see if it lands.

Has anyone else had such a refund or know what it could be for? Would quite like to keep the refund!

Many thanks and a Merry Christmas to all.
LBM Jan 14 - Debt £30,500.48
January 2014 - 31st May 2016 DEBT FREE!!
Target Savings £500,000.00 Retire Early!!
Cash Savings £15,492.23
S&S ISA £60,560.54

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Lowell is a DCA. They buy bad debts.

Do you have any older Halifax accounts that may have been sold on?

If you don't know what it is, give Halifax a call. You'll keep it if it's yours, and not if if it isn't.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Obviously also if the refund was not meant for you and you cash the cheque you'll end up in a world of pain so as above, ring Halifax and ask as it sounds like someone has mixed up your account
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Has anyone else had such a refund or know what it could be for? Would quite like to keep the refund!
    If you are to be refunded in error and you knowingly cash the cheque, then you will only have to pay it back at some stage. As you say, the error may even be spotted prior to the cheque arriving.

Don't forget also that the person who is actually due the refund will be deprived of it if you keep the money. Is that fair?
  • So I called Halifax on the number on the letter and they assured me it was genuine and definitely for an account in my name.

I called a different Halifax number from online to check and they again said the same.

They suggested if I still had concern that I could call in to branch to get more details.

I’ve checked my credit file and can’t find the details of the account there although not sure I’m looking in the right place as it seems I can only look for ‘credit accounts’
    Cash Savings £15,492.23
    S&S ISA £60,560.54
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    So I called Halifax on the number on the letter and they assured me it was genuine and definitely for an account in my name.
    Odd that you can't remember an account that was obviously defaulted and sold to a collection agency!
    If this does end up being correctly addressed to you, I'd get a better handle on your personal finances if I were you..

Merry Christmas..
  • Odd that you can't remember an account that was obviously defaulted and sold to a collection agency!
    If this does end up being correctly addressed to you, I'd get a better handle on your personal finances if I were you..

Merry Christmas..

That’s the thing. I’m rather fastidious when it comes to my personal finances and although in debt a while back, never had ‘bad’ debt of defaulted on any payments. My credit report would back that up too! When I say I can’t remember, I suppose I really mean I never actually had this account they reference. I would definitely have known.
    Cash Savings £15,492.23
    S&S ISA £60,560.54
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Records are held for 6 years before being stature barred and going off credit history, check all 3 agencies before assuming no debt existed
  • amillionlittlepieces
    Options
    Thanks all. Got to the bottom of this. Turns out the account was to someone with the same name and a very similar date of birth (just one month out), and in trying to trace this chap, used my details by accident. Having handed the cheque back, Halifax issued compensation to cover the matter.

Conscience clear and a few bob in the bank.
    Cash Savings £15,492.23
    S&S ISA £60,560.54
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family